PDA

View Full Version : Buying Beafheart mix

kaceyo
06-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Are any of the lfs brands of beafheart mixes better than the rest? Or polute the tank less? And can frozen foods be purchased safely on the internet,as in arriving still frozen? thanx, Kaceyo

Valik
06-26-2004, 09:19 PM
store beefheart mixes are like marked up something like over 5 thousand % of what it would cost to make. I would just go buy some at the store. As for buying frozen foods on the internet I dunno I haven't tried it.
Matt

kelseygirl
06-26-2004, 10:56 PM
I have a beefheart recipe that my discus love, if you are interested. Janice

kaceyo
06-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Sure,I will need a good recipe eventualy.Right now I just want to get some ASAP to give them what their used to.I allready have frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp plus O.N.formulas 1&2 flakes which is 4 of the 5 foods they have been getting so I'm OK even w/out the BH mix,but I want their entire menu and don't mind the high markup for now.The only mix they had at PetSmart was 100% BH witout any X-tras.I'm sure there are some better mixes at a fish specielty shop near me but I want to know which is best. Thanx, Kaceyo

Valik
06-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Only store bought beefheart I have ever used has been Sanfranciso Bay brand beefheart. No problems with it. Runs about a dollar or so more then frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp if I remember correctly.
Matt

Howie_W
06-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Why not pick-up some fresh beef heart from your local market? You don't have to be concerned with making an uber recipe. All you need is something to grind the pieces, and tiny compartment size icecube trays to store them in.

Howie

Willie
06-27-2004, 03:47 PM
If you don't want to deal with cleaning beefheart, there's an easier way.

I buy stewing meat, extra lean grade, from the supermarket. It can go right into the food processor/grinder, then frozen and fed. You can add all sort of fancy stuff to it if you want, but you can also go with 100% pure beef.

I know of breeders that have raised multiple generations of discus on pure beef.

Willie

KD
06-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Carol has a great way of taking care if beefheart using a salad shooter. There is a post some where about it. I trim mine (about a pound or so) than food process it with some garlic cloves ( One or two nice size cloves)- my fish love it! Make sure you do water changes after feeding it.
I think they would enjoy a Garlic Fest this summer- LOL!!!