PDA

View Full Version : Growing out Fry - size differential

David N
06-28-2004, 12:26 AM
I have a group of 7 fish which I purchased at 1.5 inches in size. Over the last 3 months 3 of the fish have grown to 4-4.5 inches in length (mouth to end of tail). 2 have reached approx 3 inches and 2 have stayed around 2 inches. The two little ones may sound like they are runted but the eye to body size is in good proportion. All the fish have grown up in the same tank, same food, same water, etc.

The little ones eat well so lack of food is not an issue. I also don't see any bullying at this time. The bigger ones can run the little ones off if they want but most of the time the fish out swimming in the middle of the tank. There has not been any illness in this tank or amongst these fish since I've had them. Most of the time I buy my fish larger than this.

I was wondering the normal size distribution is after fish are about 4-6 months of age. Any ideas? Any suggestions for getting the smaller ones to catch up?

David N

Nightowl
06-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi Dave, its usually a matter of who gets the most food, but fish will grow at different rates as well. Personally I don't like to predict what size a discus should be at a certain time because there are too many variables.

Even though they all eat and look full, bigger fish can eat more so they continue to outgrow the others . The best way for smaller guys to catch up is to be put in a separate tank, where they are the top dogs for a while.

good luck J.T.