PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a tank for wilds

Wolf_Mek
06-28-2004, 08:21 AM
My brother and I are converting our 75g into a planted discus tank and we are becoming very interested in keeping wilds (browns and greens) instead of our previous plan of getting more domestics.

Currently the pH is around 7.8 (lost the color strip to match it to, so I am going on previous knowledge of the kit) and I have yet to check our gH but it's probably between 8-10 degrees, I'll repost if it's different.

We are looking into 4-6 discus (5''+, of course), and I am wondering what I need to do to make the tank suitable for wilds.

Currently, the tanks temperature stays between 84F and 86F (we have 3 juvenilles which will be moved out).

The future hopefull stocking of the tank will probably be heavy, but the tank is right next to the kitchen sink which makes water changes for the tank very easy if I need to do more than 30% once or twice a week. Any way, here's the stock we plan to have:

20 pencil fish (Nannobrycon eques)
5 Sterbai(sp?) cories
3-4 otos
5 dwarf ancistrus plecos (may trade some in)
4-6 discus (we aren't sure how many we want, but I know the more the better for the fish's feeling of safety)

Later on, we may be looking into chocolate gourami.

Anyway, what do I need to do to get the tank ready for wilds. Do I need to change the water chemistry for them, at least in the beginning (we will be using peat if we do)?

My other question is, if they are going to be the only discus in the tank, do I need to quarentine them? If yes, how long?

Thanks for any help :D
Puma

p.s.
Feel free to add more information than I asked for :D, I want to know everything we need to do to keep them healthy.

flukes
06-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Havent kept wilds before so iam no help there, but i can tell you that in a planted tank you will need more frequent water changes than that stated.

Just wondering what filtration you ar using aswell.

Good luck
Scott

fishfarm
06-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'd lower the Ph down to under 7 using peat and it'll also soften the water too. If you don't plan to breed them then they will do fine at the higher pH once they have acclimated to it. Slowly raise it over several weeks. Wilds are hardy fish and adjust quite well to captivity. Within a week of importing them I have them eating out of my hand. Contact me if you wish to ship some in. I have a nice selection right now. Ken

Wolf_Mek
06-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Havent kept wilds before so iam no help there, but i can tell you that in a planted tank you will need more frequent water changes than that stated.

I understand that due to stocking levels I may have to do more... however, I was under the impression, since I plan on buying adult fish, that waterchanges observed for other tropical fish could also be applied to adult discus because adults do not need to be fed as much throughout the day. How many and what size water changes would I need to do?

I have an emperor 400 HOB filter with biowheel and also a power head which could be outfitted with a spong for extra bio-filtration if needed.

Ken:
Thanks for the info, I'm glad that they won't be too hard to acclimate :). I'm also glad that they are hardy :).

About how much peat do you think I would need to lower my pH to around 7.0? How often will I need to change the old peat out?

Will I need to quarentine wilds if they are the only discus going into the tank? How long if I do?

Again, thanks for any help! :)

brewmaster15
06-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Ken,
we need to talk about site sponsorship.

Puma,
You have an IM :)

-al