PDA

View Full Version : Painting background

kjd1231
06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Anyone paint their own tank back? What kind of paint did you use, and how can I ensure it looks solid and smooth? I want to do a flat black back, but can't afford for the paint to look streaky or uneven.

ChloroPhil
06-28-2004, 05:38 PM
I use multiple coats of Rustolem Flat Black spray and it works very well. To ensure no spottiness or streaks put a lamp in the tank while you're spraying. Thin spot will show through as light areas.

best,
Phil

kjd1231
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Great tip. Thanks Phil!

brandy
06-29-2004, 03:07 PM
I live in a cold climate so spray painting is out of the question for 9 months out of the year. Pretty much any paint will work. I use Kilz acrylic latex (you can get it at Walmart). I use sponge rollers and am able to get good coverage with 3 coats. I would imagine spray paint is more durable, but with regular paint I can get any color and can just scrape the paint off if it looks bad. Plus, I don't have to go through the trouble of masking off the whole tank. Don't worry too much about streaks or light spots. The first tank I painted was black and it looked awful (I used a brush instead of a roller). I thought I had ruined the tank. But, I filled it with water and it looked perfect!

Danse
07-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I painted the outside of the tank black using some black spay can some 15 years ago. Still looks good. Don't have to worry about drips.

discusfire4
07-13-2004, 09:44 AM
I just rolled on some seafoam green on a breeding tank, then sprayed a coat of black on the outside of it.