PDA

View Full Version : My New Theo Lukewarmer

kaceyo
07-01-2004, 08:31 PM
I recently bought a Theo 200W heater for my ageing barrel.The one with the "highly precise micro-switch".I got a much bigger one than I needed so I could heat the water in my ageing barrel very quickly if I needed to.The barrel s 13gls.Well,it keeps the water at 80F.when turned all the way up.The first time I used it it brought the temp up to 93F.I turned it down a touch and its never worked right since.There is a water pump running constantly in the barrel and I've unpluged the heater 5min. before each W/C,and waited 5min. after each refill to plug in again.Anyone have similar problems with Theo? My Via Aqua,in tank,is working perfectly so far. Thanx, Kaceyo

Anonapersona
07-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah, the instructions even say that some do not work right. I'll guess that they had a bad batch and sent them out anyhow, just upping the warranty to cover any bad ones.

If you get back with the vendor they ought to send it back and get you a new one. Some are right on the money, I've heard.

I had the same experience with the ones I got, set on one temp, got it, tried to turn it down, couldn't. I still need to test the 300 watt one, but the 200 and the 50 are both not good.

As soon as I test the last one, I'll use the return postage they sent me. PetSolutions did treat me right on this.

And I'm willing to try another heater from Theo, the technology is rather neat, and the "super micro switch" if it will simply work, ought to make for a nice unit. It does turn off if you run it dry, I tested that. In my last order from them, I got the in-line heater. Not quite sure how to test it, as I am a bit nervous to use any fish tanks....

kaceyo
07-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanx anon.,I got mine from PetSolutions also.It's good to know they'll deal square on it.But in the mean time,I'm boiling water to warm up my aged water to 90F for my juvie newbe's. Oh well,it's worth it. Kaceyo