PDA

View Full Version : I dont like discus very much

googalymoose
07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
hey,
My dad has a ton of discus tanks going right now (aadiscus) and im only 16. I've tried to like them but they are just incredibly boring to me. Honestly, they are beautiful fish its just that they hardly do anything and they take so much work. I really dont see why you people like them so much. I find myself watching them a lot and still they dont do much for me. Anyway, im just not a big fan. Can anyone tell me why my statement is false. I just feel like they are completly and utterly boring. Maybe it is just me but it seems like my brother feels that way also.

drew

heavyp83
07-06-2004, 04:13 PM
somebody call the waaaaaaaaambulance. :'( :'( :'( :'(

brandy
07-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I would watch what you say around here, some of us discus geeks can get pretty nasty :furious: I guess it's all personal preference. You find watching discus boring - I find watching sports boring. I find discus to be relaxing and very beautiful. I consider raising and breeding them to be an art form. Different things interest different people, I guess.

googalymoose
07-06-2004, 04:31 PM
hey,
im just saying that i cant seem to get interested in them even though i have tried watching them for a long time.
i guess your right. Its all about personal preference.

patrick
07-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Drew,

Some people like different things, you obviously do not care for discus; and that's ok. You should pursue your own dreams and interests. But get passionate about something and you'll find that life is very enjoyable. But do your own thing and take pride in your accomplishments.

People on simplydiscus are very passionate about this hobby and this is a place for everyone to share their ideas, interests, and accomplishments.

Have fun. ;)

Sincerely, Patrick (Denver)

brewmaster15
07-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Honestly, they are beautiful fish its just that they hardly do anything and they take so much work. I really dont see why you people like them so mucH....Grasshopper in time you will find answers to your questions in the words you have spoken, and in the things you have seen. :)

...In the meantime, basically its an addiction and a challenge and many of us are addicted to the challenge and beauty of this fish.

-al

susankay1
07-06-2004, 04:44 PM
In a way, I agree with you, the adult fish can be rather boring to watch. Although at my age, they are quite relaxing. But, if you are bored with the adults, try interacting with the babies and juvenile (teens, like you). The healthy babies can be a lot of fun to watch and feed. They are always hungry and are just establishing their place in the school, so to speak, so there is quite a bit of tussling going on. And if you still are bored by them, that's ok. Like Patrick said, we dont all like the same things in life, just find what you like and go for it!!!! ;D

Willie
07-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Where do you live?

AADiscus
07-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Amazing what takes place when you leave two teeanagers (grasshopper 1 and 2) at home alone. I do need some advice on how much epsom salt to use as a bath on teen boys (must be bloated,but not apparent) due to them being full of s...! We are currently setting their bedrooms as fish rooms and empting the 120g as their new habitat and quarintine area ;D. We will offer tetra bits and beef heart (all you can eat) with no water changes and pooooor filtration. Water temp will not be checked and paramerters ignored. Just hope they don't spawn!!!!! Should have caught this when they were fry......culls ;D.
Any other ideas (really they are great kids, just too much time on their hands, we will fix this with mucho yard work) :whip:
Andrew and Angela

AADiscus
07-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Willie, we are just outside of Tulsa, OK. If you are interested in two peppered (black & blue) teenagers (football shaped heads) shipping is free. They are in time out watching the discus for 2 hrs.

DISCUS USA
07-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Ha Ha that was too funny... ;D ;D...the fact that your sons did not write foul stuff at members here shows their is a trace of interest in discus...maybe in time they will be full blown addicts like the rest of us discus zombies.. :P

susankay1
07-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Andrew, just set them out at the curb, we will be coming through there late Friday night on our way back home. Make sure you put bag buddies in the bags though, its a long ride home. LOL

SmellsFishy0
07-06-2004, 07:12 PM
actually when i got into the hobby i didnt like discus at all :-X ...guess cause of the odd shape....never took time to pay much mind to em.......but now all i have are discus.......whoda thunk it ;D-----AndyM

Ryan
07-06-2004, 08:32 PM
It is all personal preference. Some guys like sports cars or football or things that I find very boring and expensive. But that is them, and this is me. So I guess it's best to just leave the discus up to dad, and find a hobby that you enjoy.

Besides, what would be the point of signing up on a website to tell everyone that you don't like something? :-\

AADiscus, good luck... discus maintenance pales in comparison to teenage maintenance :P If you still have that offer standing, I'll take them as long as they do manual labor. I have a big yard that needs to be mowed.

Ryan

Howie_W
07-06-2004, 08:36 PM
hey,
My dad has a ton of discus tanks going right now (aadiscus) and im only 16. I've tried to like them but they are just incredibly boring to me. Honestly, they are beautiful fish its just that they hardly do anything and they take so much work. I really dont see why you people like them so much. I find myself watching them a lot and still they dont do much for me. Anyway, im just not a big fan. Can anyone tell me why my statement is false. I just feel like they are completly and utterly boring. Maybe it is just me but it seems like my brother feels that way also.

drew

You should print out this thread and hang onto it...I'll bet many years from now you'll have gotten the urge to take over your dad's hobby, and be loving it! ;)

Best of luck!

Howie

April
07-06-2004, 09:35 PM
well..you sound exactly like my son..who just turned 17. he leaves pics of upside down discus with X's for eyes..on my puter and chalk board..and words like "discus suck" etc.
lets face it..no teenager wants to embrace what their parents interests are..they want to be their own persons. and..hearing your parents go on and on about those fish..and so involved that you are no longer the center of their universe...is no good. lol. my kids used to say..you love those fish more than us..all you talk about are those fish. but..truth betold..i got involved with the fish..as the kids didnt think they needed me quite so much anymore. they would say..we;re goin out with our friends..to a cool place..id say what about me?? theyd say stay home and play with your fish!!!!
ok..they did used to like my community tanks..till i got so obsessed..then they rebelled. fish fish fish..everywhere fish. not to mention they had to keep their gumboots beside their bed..in case of floods...etc etc. and lets see..worms in the fridge..blenders and food processors taken over by beefheart..etc.
but..in all of that..they did have a few favourite ones..and if they thought i may cull one..theyd claim it and name it so i couldnt. stripey etc..

brewmaster15
07-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Andrew,
I think You need to buy yourself new fish. Your children obviously have an interest in them..albeit a negative one. :)

so I think you have to work harder to show them why you like this fish so much. Now I guess the numbers of fish you have just aren't good enough for that so you should get more. ;)

-al

Anonapersona
07-07-2004, 12:20 AM
...Someone else's hobby.... how dull.

Not at all surprising that anyone would find some other person's hobby not very exciting. Then, imagine if you were forced to participate, horrors. Crank that scenario up just a bit more, and you've got a business, with real work to do, nope, no kid is going to like that...until you give them a tank of fry to raise and sell to keep the profit.

pcgamer02
07-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Have your dad get a stingray, no one can hate a stringray. they are so cool!

Discus_Newbie19
07-07-2004, 01:56 AM
My dad and mom both love fish and it was passed to me, but for my brothers they dont give a rats ***.

mikeos
07-07-2004, 04:16 AM
All things must balance glashopper, I dont like teenagers very much ;D so the world is once again in harmony. 8)

Robin764
07-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Aaaaah....but your statement is false young grasshopper....You like your father's hobby enough to visit us here at simply discus:) Look forward to seeing you in the future ;D
Robin

RichieE
07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
"I find myself watching them a lot. " The seeds are planted they are growing inside and you dont even know it. Your out of control already!!! Rich
:yikes:

Willie
07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Andrew and Angela;

I too have teenagers. To make matters worse, they also know where we live.

Willie

Gibbs
07-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Well I am a teenager myself and most of my friends would think watching fish is boring, but the part I like about it is just the general upkeep, the feeding, the water changes just keeping the fish healthy and happy is something I enjoy.

Discus_Newbie19
07-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Gibbs im also a teen and I find most my friends like to watch my fish and tap the tank >:(.
They just feel my fish take to much work and are a pain in the *** to keep. They dont see why I do so many water changes (50% every other day) because no one else they know with a tank do nearly as many and thier fish are fine. I feel they think im using it as an excuse not to go out with them sometimes, which itis if they are doing something I dont want to :)

sam_y
07-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Generally I think that younger people are more attracted to Rift Lake cichlids than discus. They're more dynamic, flashy and edgy. They also don't take as much work so you've got time for more important stuff like bball. I'm the only one I know my age (20) in "real life" that keeps discus, while several of my friends have Malawi tanks.

brandy
07-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm 21 and I keep discus also. I got tired of the African cichlids. I didn't find two fish mauling each other to be very exciting.

daveycrockett
07-09-2004, 12:24 AM
my four year old daughter told my wife that she doesnt like all the tanks and fish all over the house ;D