PDA

View Full Version : Why the shape?

falcon
07-08-2004, 01:59 PM
I went to a one of those small, privately owned lfs yesterday and I saw some nice discus in there.

Some were weird though. The reds were really intense, even in the smaller fish, 3-3.5". Also, the shape was a bit weird. In a normal discus, if you were to trace a line around it, it would be one continous line, more or less round. The discus at the store as you started going from the head, around and under the mouth, there was break-out in a mold and it almost looked like the discus had a chin - after you went under the gills the lines would not continue and it would come in and then out again continuing with the belly.

I don't know if the description makes sense but if you can make it out what would be the cause for the color and the shape? Hormones and some sort of colorant? There was this one, probably 4" or so. I mean, beautiful, intense red color and blue lines(I think red snakeskin or similar) and this weird shape.

What do you guys think? He had some other discus that looked perfect. Big, 6-7" blue cobalts but were expensive though. I would be afraid to my from this guy unless he had some nice wilds.

falcon

brewmaster15
07-09-2004, 07:16 AM
hi the fish you described could be from hormones(color) and runting or malnutrition/poor husbandry as they were frys.

hth,
al

falcon
07-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks Al, makes sense. Otherwise, beautiful fish - very fine lines and what have you.

falcon