PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Plans II.

NanDiscus
07-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Hello Everyone!

One month ago I purchased 6 baby discus from a guy here in Hungary. The parents are both Asian fish from unknown origin. His selection technique was that he bought larger quantities of young fish and only kept the best one or two. This way he ended up with 12 fish (six pairs, actually) out of about 400 babies.

The first pic shows the pair. Snake male and a Red Turq. female.
The second pic shows some of the 3 months old fry together with some PB's from a different pair.

These are the only pics for now, I'll shoot some more of the six I have asap.

By the way... I paid 5 US bucks each. :)

NanDiscus
07-09-2004, 11:33 AM
and the little ones....

NanDiscus
07-09-2004, 11:35 AM
So the final idea is to keep two of these fish as a breeding pair and sell or exchange the other four fish. Whaddya'll say? ;)
Also... What would crossing two of these fish result in?

Carol_Roberts
07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Excellent price - $10.00 for a pair! You'll get some red turks and some SS babies.

Howie_W
07-09-2004, 03:11 PM
By the way... I paid 5 US bucks each. :)

Holy bank robbery! Such a deal! :o

Howie

NanDiscus
07-11-2004, 06:07 AM
Howie,

You should not worry about robbery! I'll quote about the same price for the offspring. ;)

roger
07-11-2004, 01:54 PM
I think what you do with the pair should be based on what your plans are.

Basically though I look at it this way.

Finding a male discus that produces fry is the hard part. He is worth keeping around unless he wont breed with anyone else other than the turq.

Keep the pair and go looking for a red turq male and SS female so that you can have matched sets of breeding fish.
Breeding pairs that are a matched set are usually worth more than a cross.
or
Raise up the best of the fry to cross them back to mom or dad.

Either way its a nice looking set of fish.

Peace,
Roger

NanDiscus
07-11-2004, 03:09 PM
The major outlines of the idea are the following:

-I would like to keep two of the nicest siblings as a pair. (I can almost tell for 100% at this early age that I will have at least two nice males and one nice female.)
-I'd get rid of the two not-so-good-looking ones, and replace them with two other red turks. When chosing these, I will go for the size and the base colour, which I like to be more in the yellowish-brown range.

From the offspring of the first pair I would only keep and raise the turqs., and maybe the six nicest ones of the snakeskins. (Lack of space for the time being, but I'm hoping to get a system up and running within the next 18 months.)

While the pair are doing their job I'd see if any of the new fish are showing any interest in the other two and carry on from there.

I basically decided to breed Red Turqs.

If anyone would like to take the snake offspring in a bulk for pennies/dimes, advise! ;)

Also, I was wondering about proposing that all those, who breed Red Turks on this forum should stick their heads together and come up with something exciting...

roger
07-11-2004, 04:26 PM
That sounds like a decent set of ideas you have going.

Just keep in mind that red turqs (in general) color up very late so the fish tend to be less valuable and harder to get rid of. The flip side is that the fish tend to have a very deep gene pool so you usually get nice big healthy fish.

I have 2 strains of red turqs myself and Im just waiting for them to reach adult hood so that I can cross them together. I have a wattley strain and a schmidt focke strain. The SF strain get the red color at a very small size. Since Im shooting to have 4 different strains of discus breedng at one time the Red Turqs are going to be a side project. Red Dragons, Snake Skins, Marlboro Reds, Yellows are what I am trying to focus on.

Roger

Smokey
07-12-2004, 07:57 AM
congrat's Nadi.
Beautiful looking discus.