PDA

View Full Version : Lights "on" or "off"

BKT
07-10-2004, 03:56 AM
I find that I leave my lights on all the time with my discus. Is the normal thing to do with these critters...?

Just wondering so I can keep them on a routine....

Pick
07-10-2004, 09:08 AM
While they might adapt to "sleeping" with the lights on it will definately increase the stress level. During the first month or so of life it keeps them active so they eat more and grow more. But after that I personally believe it increases stress leading to reduced disease resistance.

TC

nicholas76
07-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I dont believe its a healthy idea for the fish. Its simply not normal.

Similar to my water changing routine I would try in regulate a pattern with lights going on and off. MAy I suggest an authomatic timer.

You can then alter this to reflect seasons too!

post some pics ;D

BKT
07-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I have an automatic timer on the tropheus tank...I will place one on the discus tank as well. I was leaning torwards regulating the lights but there have been a few folks i talked with who kept them on...i agree with the natural sleeping pattern.

There are pics to come...just getting a better camera...lol

BKT
07-10-2004, 03:18 PM
here are some photos i just took...hope they look ok...they are of the new little guys and the marlboro reds..

BKT
07-10-2004, 03:20 PM
trying to figure out how to send a few pics..instead of one at a time

Willie
07-10-2004, 03:20 PM
My lights come on in the morning and evenings only when I'm home to feed. Otherwise, they have a dim overhead flourescent light in the fish room.

For babies, I will keep the light on 24 hours so that they constantly feed.

Willie