PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank In The Garage

FloridaFishGuy
07-13-2004, 05:41 PM
I was wondering if it is ok to put a Discus tank in my garage which does not have A/C. I live in florida so sometimes it gets 100+ degrees but usually its only around 90.

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Should be OK. Let's see what the other Florida hobbyists say. I think I've heard of folks directing a fan over the water to help cool it.

Anonapersona
07-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Year round?

How well insulated is it? How cold does it get there in winter?

FloridaFishGuy
07-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Year round? No

How well insulated is it? Not very well

How cold does it get there in winter? It dosnt get too cold. Usually 50-60 but the lowest would be in the 40's at night.

yogi
07-14-2004, 09:36 PM
I live a few hours south of you and I keep my tanks in the garage. I only use my house heater between 5 and 20 days per year. That was not a typo, it just doesn't really get cold where I live.

It does get hot. So I had an undersized ac vent added in my garage from the central ac system. If the house is 74 the garage is 80. It really helps when it comes to humidity, it keeps it low. Also the few times per year I need my heater it helps with the cold in the garage.

See if you can contact roger or bryalk1 from this forum. They both live in central Florida and keep their tanks in the garage.

FloridaFishGuy
07-14-2004, 09:40 PM
I have already contacted roger and might stop by his place and take a look at his setup. I will probably get my fish from Ryan aka Dkarc@aol.com and he keeps his tanks in the garage but its air conditioned like yours.

YellowClaw
07-14-2004, 10:57 PM
I live in Florida also and would love to have some tanks set up in the garage. When I first moved into the home, I spent lots of time working in the garage puting up racks and building my little workshop. It gets hot, very hot. Even if the discus can handle the heat, would you be looking forward to going out there everyday or evening to care for your discus? Also, it gets even hotter if you park your car in the garage. I think a little AC would be good for both you and your discus. Keep us posted on your project. I'd love to see your progress.

FloridaFishGuy
07-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Well if I did have some A/C put in the garage I would have to get it insulated. Being 17 I dont have the money to do this and I dont think my parents would allow me to. I have no problem with the heat in the garage because I work in a non A/C warehouse everyday. For my fish though I could put a fan next to the tank to blow on the waters surface. I just got a Fuji Finepix 2600 off eBay so I will be posting pictures once I get the tank to show my progress.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-14-2004, 11:11 PM
hey YellowClaw, where about in FL are you?

-Ryan

YellowClaw
07-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Ryan,

I'm in Pinellas Park.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Im in Clermont, about an hour and a half East of you. You should come to the next Central Florida Discus Group meeting (if Roger ever gets time to oragnize another one).

-Ryan