PDA

View Full Version : What kind of PH solution you use to adjust PH value in the tank

ChienHsu
07-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi!

I am curious and wish to know what kind of soultion is good to use for adjusting PH value of the water in the tank. Can you share your info?

Thanks

Sincerely,
Chien Hsu

Rod
07-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi Chien

I use hydrocloric acid mostly, but in the water treatment tank only. My tapwater is about 7.8 after aeration, after addition of the acid it drops to about 6.5 then over the next day ir raises slightly to about 6.8 to 7.

Sometimes i use canadian peat for the breeders, overall i feel this is a better method as it also reduces the conductivity and seems more stable. It does give the water a brownish tint however and is not as convenient to use.

Rod

RyanH
07-13-2004, 10:58 PM
What is your pH now? It probably does not need to be changed.

ChienHsu
07-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi! Ryan:

I used to age the water overnight and then do the water change. The PH value of the aged water is about 7-7.2. The PH value of my tank water was about 6.2-6.4. Since I do only 1/3 water change every three days, I did not notice any issue in the past. Recently, I switched my discus to the new tank (my old one had leak). I noticed that all discus were gathering together at one of the top corners. I did not see any sign of diseases. Then I measured PH value of the water and it was about 7.4. Then, soon I lost one and another was doing poorly. I used "PH adjust down" to drop to 6.4 for next two days. Now they are much better and swim every where. Therefore, I think I have to not only age the water but also drop the PH value of the aged water.

Can you tell me also where you buy the solution?

Thanks

Sincerely,
Chien

Carol_Roberts
07-14-2004, 11:23 AM
I think you made the wrong diagnosis. If you start lowering the pH of your change water it will lower the pH in the tank even more. . . . you will start a viscous cycle of ever lower pH. You must have fairly soft water for the pH to drop in the tank.

What is the pH from the tap? If it is lower than 7 you can probably do water changes straight from the tap without aging. Try it and see.

ChienHsu
07-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi! Carol:

The PH value of my tape water now is about 7.4 and the TDS is about 165. I think the KH is about 3 (I have to measure again).

Chien

Carol_Roberts
07-14-2004, 05:10 PM
I think daily water changes will help stabilize the pH.

Your water is pretty soft perhaps April or others with soft water can advise you on how to stabilize your water - maybe shells in the filter . . .

Steve_Warner
07-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi all,
Chien, your water sounds very good to use after aging. What's the pH immediately out of the tap? When you moved the fish to the new tank, was there new filter media in there and did you take Ammonia & NitrIte readings when they were stressing? The water should slowly drop in pH in your tank if you have a healthy, optimum functioning bio-cycle due to Nitrification. This is why, in your old tank, you had a pH of about 6.4-2 and it was stable. IMHO, you should not mess around with chemicals to alter pH if you don't have a complete understanding of their effects on water params. What does your tap water have in it as far as sanitizing properties? Chlorine/ozone, Chloramine, etc? Where do you live?

Steve

Cosmo
07-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Steve and Carol are both right, daily water changes and don't mess with chemicals you don't understand, or, that you don't have the propper test equip for.

If the water from your aging tank is similar to the tank water you should be fine regardless of the ph, within limits of course. If your water is not alkaline enough, you'll have ph crashes and of course that's not good. Most here suggest crushed coral for alkalinity to stabilize ph, I use Kent PH Stable and have consistently successful results with it.

If you do need to lower your ph, peet, or a liquid peet concoction like Marc Weiss's product do the job nicely with natural solutions rather than harsh acids.

Jim

Cosmo
07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
PS.

I've been told that Arm & Hammer Baking Soda makes a great stabilizer. Never tried it though so if anyone has maybe they could shed some light on how it works.

Cosmo
07-27-2004, 08:39 PM
read on another thread that baking soda is only a short term solution (?) FYI