PDA

View Full Version : HELP,nitrites in aging water?

discusnutz
07-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi All,
well I'm stumped! Today when I came home from work, my new fish(in 20 gal quarantine) all huddlin in corner,dark,and very skittish. Needless to say, I was on it! Checked water parameters, and sure enough had nitrites at .25, 0 ammonia,5 nitrate. Tested water in 20 gal rubbermaid aging tank and the nitrite was at .50!!! Tested water in my 100G discus tank all was fine, tested water in 50g holding tank that I use for their water changes and it was fine, all water comes from my well, and I use the same hose to fill them, last water change on both tanks was this morning ! My question is...How can this be!!! How could I have nitrites in one holding tank aand not the other when water comes from same well and hose? The only thing I can think of is that in the 20G, I don't use all the water in one water change and I top it up again, is this a possible cause? sorry for the big long winded tale, this is my first big problem, that I haven't been able to find a thread to solve it with!!! Thanks for being there!!!.........Brenda

Carol_Roberts
07-15-2004, 01:58 AM
I don't know. Test everything again tomorrow and see if all is back to normal. Do you live in farm country?

discusnutz
07-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Hi Carol, yes I do live right across the road from a dairy farm, but have had no problems with the water in the well, have had it tested for e-coli over the years(have lived here for 17 yrs)and have never had any problems, I drink it!!! Anyways, thanks for your response Carol, and you bet I'll be testing it tomorrow and the next and the next......my poor little fishes were some unhappy, but have perked up since I did a 75%WC and put the salt in, have stopped gasping and their colour has brightened and they've eaten, which is as we know is a darn good sign ;D..thanks again...Brenda