PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers

brewmaster15
07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi ,
Anyone use a UV on their Discus tanks? If so which brand are you using?

Are you using it for primarily for water clarity(algae and diatom destruction)?

or to destroy pathogens?

thanks,
al

Cosmo
07-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Al,

I'm using UV's on all my tanks. Currently using the Coral Life "Twist". The 3X on my 90 and the 6X on my 180. Getting ready to setup a drip system for breeding tanks so may move the 6X to that system and get a 12 for the 180. Not sure yet. Use them for both - keeping algea and pathogens dead :)

Jim

Cosmo
07-22-2004, 01:50 PM
PS.

First had one an 18watt Double Helix - uses a "space age" material instead of quartz where the water stays in a 3/8 or 1/2 tube inside the unit and spirals down then back up the cannister - great in theory in that your exposure time is increased but created more backpressure and slowed down the water flow. Got stupid a couple times and turned off the pump that was pushing it and the "space age" material melted ( along with the socket and everything else).

Happy with the Coral Life units - low backpressure and easy to mount - the double helix was a bitc.... err, I mean, extremely difficult to mount.
Jim

keith_cny
07-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey Al,

I have one 38 watt CustomeSeaLife (I think thats the mfr name) Double Helix that I use to fill my water storage and then when I empty it to my tanks. I use it to try to eliminate any pathogens in water before they get to the tanks. I'm not trying to keep the tanks as sterile environments but make sure the change water is clean.

BTW, how far a drive is it from your place to Middletown NY? I'm thinking about a roadtrip sometime soon.

Keith

brewmaster15
07-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi Keith,
Its an easy drive on 84 E into CT...2 hours by mapquest. Let me know when you have the time! Be Great to meet you!

BTW,.. Took those pics for you we spoke about.

take care,
al

Multiclone
07-27-2004, 09:39 PM
I use a Pro Aqua 30 watt. What I like is the large flow rate. I have forgotten the exact flow rate but is 1,000s per hour - I think it is about 6,000 ltrs per hour but don't hold me to that.

Geoff

ValorG
07-31-2004, 10:31 AM
I am planning on getting one, but will it kill off my beneficial bacteria if i leave it on 24 hours a day? i was told to just leave it on for 6 hours a day on a timer.

vickie s
07-31-2004, 11:43 AM
The bacteria that are responsible for breaking down ammonia and nitrite have colonized your filter media (and gravel and plants if you have these). The UV unit only affect organisms and organics suspended in the water that go through the unit. I added one to my 125g planted discus tank to help clarify the water.
vickie

fishfarm
08-03-2004, 09:32 AM
I put an 80 watt Aquatronics on my breeder system about 6 months ago, Man this thing is great, Fertility increased and no more disease problems.

ValorG
08-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Borrowing this thread for my uv question. If i put a biowheel attachment to the outflow of my uv, will that stop the growth of the bacteria on the biowheel?

korbi_doc
08-14-2004, 08:40 AM
:bounce2: No, the water column coming from the UV will be somewhat affected, hopefully, (since that's what you're trying to do) but it will not be sterile & the biowheel will establish a bacterial colony, tho perhaps more slowly. Just pour some tank water over it, or add it on after the colony is established from another tank, JMO, Dottie 8)

roger
08-16-2004, 06:59 PM
The only reason to not really use a UV is cost.

If setup correctly the UV will help eliminate some of the nasties that are in the water.

I am in the process of setting up a rack with 4 29g tanks for breeders which will all be on one filtration system. Ill be hookup up a wet dry and using a inline UV light on the return line.

I cant afford to put one on each of the other 20 tanks that have fish in it :)

Peace,
Roger

Wolf_Mek
08-18-2004, 09:14 AM
It may kill "nasties" in the water, but doesn't also kill beneficial or non-harmful organisms in the water column as well? It also doesn't get rid of all the "nasties" in the aquarium either, does it?

I personally won't ever use UV. My theory might be flawed, but I do think that it helps make the discus stronger if they're immune systems know how to fight "nasties"... IMHO, it might do the opposite. I just think that since the immune system won't be able to fight the "nasties" in the water in, say, a power outage... then something gets in the water and wipes all your fish out or makes them all sick.

I also know that healthy, happy fish rairly fall ill for no reason... so I don't see the point in one anyway except to get rid of algae that is suspended in the water.

So, I a guess that what I am saying is that I wouldn't use them... for the same reason I don't run all over my house with lysol or clorox.

brewmaster15
08-24-2004, 02:11 PM
HI Becky,

Most of the beneficial organisms are attached to tank surfaces like sponges, so won't get killed by UV. The theoretical idea behind a UV is it REDUCES parasite and bacterial pressures... not removes them. It should have no affect on the fishes immune response. The benefit here is a population of a pathogen is constantly being controlled as as it passes thru the UV.

Think of it this way.. If an immune response is to be triggered... You actually want a small amount of the antigen... not a lot.... too much would make the organism sick. Its the same as with human immunizations. A very small amount is used, just so the body can "recognize" the pathogen and create antibodies without getting sick. That way when a large number are encountered, the body can mount a defense rapidly.

I have a UV on a 125 gallon... my display. I have found it to be extremely beneficial in water quality..algae control etc.. I haven't a clue at this point how much of a value it is for pathogen control, but I believe the theory behind it. It is not a substitute for water changes though.

I used to be very skeptical of their use.. I am not so skeptical now. I am begining to see that they can greatly benefit a heavily stocked tank.

hth,
al

DiscusinDaytona
08-25-2004, 11:00 AM
I've never had one on my tank, but am likely to install one. Have one on my air conditioning system and it does an amazing job at keeping evap coil clean and no mold/algae. In Florida, is nice to have. That baby runs 24/7.

The Lenman
08-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't have one yet...but plan on putting one on the 110g tank as soon as I get in my new place. From things I have read and people I have spoken to a UV on a show/community tank is great insurance...

I take no credit for the following as I simply fell upon it one day while on internet doing research...lots of good info...the site is The Beginners Discus Page....do a search and youll find it easy....hear is what is written on his site regarding UV....was very helpful to me.....

"UV Sterilizers...

You may want to consider using one of these water sterilizing units. Water is pumped through an Ultra Violet Light unit which kills nearly all water-borne parasites, viruses, fungi and bacteria. The advantage is obvious. If your fish become stressed, they won't become infected by waterborne parasites. If you choose to use one, use the following formula to determine the wattage of your UV light. Take the amount of water pumped through the unit per hour, in gallons, and divide it by 25. Example.... For a 75 gallon tank, you could pump 100 gallons per hour through the light, which, when divided by 25, would indicate you could use only a 4 watt UV light (which is the lowest wattage usually available). If you're a serious keeper, you may want to consider using UV as further insurance/protection for your fish. 4 watt units cost less than $75.00 I consider it a good investment and a good way to gain a little more peace of mind, especially if you have a lot of them in your tank. You can also be less stringent as far as quarantining new ones, since your water is "sterilized". Fish can still become infected from others, however. Think of it this way.... If you were in a sterile room and someone sneezes in your face, you could still get their cold!! Same idea with a UV sterilized tank.

UV lamps lose much of their strength in about 6 months and must then be replaced, in order to function properly.

If you use a UV Sterilizer, be aware that you must turn it off during use of any medications . Also, do not turn it back on until all medication has been removed by the use of carbon and water changes! If you turn it on too soon, the meds may be chemically broken down into toxins which can harm the fish and fowl the water. A good idea would be to wait a couple days extra after you think you've removed medication from the water to return your UV to service.

From what I hear, the only disadvantage could be..... The fish may become accustomed to this type of water and if you discontinue use or transfer them to another tank or a friend or other owner without UV, they could more easily become infected, since they may have become unaccustomed to their presence. (If anyone has info to the contrary, please let me know)

I've had absolutely no disease problems with my 20 + Discus since I put UV on my tanks in March of '97. I think it's a great investment and cheap added insurance, since it only costs a much as a couple good fish! If part of your fun with Discus is the challenge of fighting disease and stress related ailments, don't do UV. However, if you have a life (family, work, etc.) you might wish to consider UV! Purists may consider this a bit of a "copout", but it's made my Discus keeping much more fun and definitely less stressful. Less worry about moving fish to other tanks, adding new ones, using nets between tanks, slight temp and PH changes, etc. Slight stresses don't seem to cause as many problems. This is not to say everyone needs UV, but if you've experienced more parasite, bacteria and viral problems than you wish to deal with on a regular basis, it's a good way to help the situation and therefore not become discouraged and quit the hobby. It certainly does not take the place of good water changing and filtration habits/procedures, but may give you more time and desire to dedicate to these required basics! If you only have a few Discus and have minimal problems, don't bother with UV. I have more than 20, with substantial investment in time and money, so I find much more peace of mind with it.

Regards,
Lenman