PDA

View Full Version : SS inheritance question

Larry Grenier
07-23-2004, 01:54 PM
I have a batch of fish from a red-based SS + a Alanquer/TR cross. Several babies were SS as I expected.

1) If I crossed a SS with another SS I suppose the number of SS offspring would be higher depending on the SS's parents... right?

2) What would you expect to get if you crossed a red-based SS with a blue-based SS assuming all 4 parents were SS?

Thanks in advance

Rod
07-23-2004, 07:25 PM
1) no, i've never seen more that 50% ss in a batch of fry.

2)up to 50% ss type discus highly variable in charectaristics

SS are very complex genetically and give very variable results.

dalelad
07-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I have a batch of fish from a red-based SS + a Alanquer/TR cross. Several babies were SS as I expected.

1) If I crossed a SS with another SS I suppose the number of SS offspring would be higher depending on the SS's parents... right?

--> not necessarily. a cross of ss to non-ss had gave me a percentage of 60-70% ss-fries. basically, as long as a parent is a ss, i dont really see a great disparity in percentage of ss-thrown between ss-ss parents and ss-nonss parents.

2) What would you expect to get if you crossed a red-based SS with a blue-based SS assuming all 4 parents were SS?

--> what do you mean by all 4 parents were ss?
there isn't exactly such a thing as a blue-based ss. the ss is still either brown or yellow base. blue is the 2nd layer on-top of the base colour. the 'blue-base' ss you're refering to probably has more striations than the red-base ss. the red on a red-base ss is really the base colour of brown, in this case exhibiting more a reddish kind. so going by this reasoning, you'll get ss and turquoises in your off-springs, with varying degrees of striations between every fish.

07-24-2004, 10:51 PM
A pair of SS is no guarantee to have a higher percentage F1 ss. I found a higher percentage if you cross a barless fish like a BD or ghost/San Merah to have a higher percentage of SS. Crossing PB with SS resulting of unwanted black dust genes. Only a small scale hobbyist are still cross with PB. Most professional breeders are using non-dust brown base from either the Ghost, San merah or Snow white base. My rule is bar X bar or bar X ghost; Non bar X Non Bar. Never BarXPB. HTH
Most hobbyist find it frustrating to breed the recent spotted Leopard SS. Most F1 are turquoises. The trick is to cross the Leopard SS with the Wild RSG. Not a pair of Leopard.
Jimmy

dalelad
07-25-2004, 04:50 AM
crossing a bar fish with a pigeon blood (melons/marlboros etc.) will produce barless fishes. that is because the pigeon blood is a dominant gene and it would render the off-springs to be pigeon-gene dominant fishes, thus having a barless phenotype.

we won't get turquoises from breeding 2 leopard snakeskins. technically, we would have 2 kinds of off-springs.. the leopard snakeskin and the leopard.
the leopard is created from generative breeding between rsgs, up to F4 crossing before the leopard spotting is stabilized in the fish. crossing the leopard snakeskin back to the wild rsg might make the off-spring look closer to a spotted snakeskin instead of a leopard snakeskin, but of course the leopard spotting would still be rather distinct in the F1 of such a crossing.

also, there are unscrupulous breeders or dealers to hormonise snakeskins(not spotted snakeskins/without spotted gene) and thus the fishes show spotting. they are sold as leopard snakes. breeding 2 of such fishes would throw turquoises and snakeskins, and not spotted fishes.

hope this helps!

Larry Grenier
07-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Damn, I ask good questions. ::)
Great responses, some of which I suspected.
I didn't realize the SS never bred true.
Personally, I would never cross a bar X PB.

Thanks again