PDA

View Full Version : My first, worst and best ACA

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-26-2004, 02:29 PM
As some of you may know this year was my first ACA. I was so excited to finally meet everyone and put faces to names. Unfortunatly this ACA was my first, worst and best. My mom and I left Wednesday morning from Orlando and we arrived at the Denver airport around 4 PM. We bought tickets to use the Super Shuttle service to the Marriott hotel. This is where is all goes down hill :-\ :-X. The driver wasnt staying in the lanes most of the time and he never used his signals nor even looked when he was changing lanes. He almost rear ended a few cars on the highway! We finally got to the hotel and the driver got out and opened the side doors for us to get out and he put one of those small cheap plastic step stools for us to use. I was the first one out but I didnt use the step stool as it didnt look to sturdy. 2 other people got out then my mom started to get out. As she was placing her right foot on the stool and was beginning to put weight on the stool, it began to slide, she tried to bring her left foot around to catch herself but she wasnt quick enough and down she went. She landed on her left ankle and instantlyy broke it in 2 places. She had to have 2 titanium plates put in the very next morning. I spent the night at the ER with my mom and I didnt get checked into the hotel till almost 5 PM the next day (Thursday). I had no idea what I was going to do as I am only 17 and I can't rent a car to go see her at the hospital. Luckily the hotel was kind enough to shuttle me back and forth to the hospital a couple times a day to see her. she is currently still back in Denver in the hospital recuperating from the surgery. My Dad flew out this morning and he is going to fly home with her on Wednesday.
I did manage to have some fun this whole trip though. I got to meet everyone and had a really fun time talking and going out to dinner with people. Every morning every single person who knew about my mom (which is all of the discus folks who were there) asked how my mom is doing. Some people even sent flowers which she is extremely grateful for. My dad is not happy at all and is suing the company for lost wages and medical bills as well as a few other things. Next year she will definitely come and everyone will be able to finally meet her. She wanted to thank everyone who was there asking about her and keeping me busy (and keeping me out of trouble :P). I hope to see everyone in Texas next year.

-Ryan

brewmaster15
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Ryan,
I am very sorry to hear of your Moms injury! :'( :'( :'( :'(

I hope she recovers soon. Glad you were able to enjoy a little of the ACA.

-al

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I have some good news! She got out of the hospital today!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: My dad is in Denver helping her out and keeping her company. Hopefully she will be home by Wednesday.

-Ryan

Ryan
07-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi Ryan,

I'm very sorry to hear that! That's terrible! Wish your mom well for all of us. I hope next year she can make it to the ACA and actually get to enjoy it. Hopefully you managed to at least have a little fun while you were in Denver.

Ryan

Lauren
07-26-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm so sorry about your mom, please let her know we're sending good vibes & well wishes her way.

Lauren

Don_Lee
07-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom Ryan.....I hope that she is well and back on her feet soon. Tell your dad to get a good attorney. I hope that you were able to come away from the experience with some good.......if not, there will be next year. Take care, and wish your mother well for all of us here.

Don ;D

Howie_W
07-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Hi Ryan,

So sorry to hear about your mom! :( I've been through many trials and tribulations similar to your experience, and know exactly what it's like. I hope she has a speedy recovery!!! :)

ATB

Howie

Carol_Roberts
07-27-2004, 12:26 AM
I really enjoyed meeting you too, Ryan 8) I didn't realize you were under 18 - I thought you were in your early 20's. I hope the shuttle service settles out of court for lots of money ;)

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-27-2004, 12:43 AM
LOL Carol, I get that alot. it's from all of those years playing football. Unfortunetly I had to stop because I broke my collar bone in 2 places last year and the doctor said I couldnt play anymore. Oh well. My dad is going to sue the company for the medical bills, lost wages (she is a veternarian and 2 months with no work is a considerable amount of lost income), and pain and suffering, plus a few other things. My dad took the digital camera with him to take some videos of the Super Shuttle vans unloading people at the hotel and it was the exact same thing, driver places stool on ground then walks around to get luggage out. Atleast when I went to the airport Sunday morning the driver was standing there helping us out (word must've gotten around). Anyway, she is doing much better tonight and is planning on comming home Wednesday. She wants to come next year to finally meet everyone. And next time we are getting a rental car!

-Ryan

pcgamer02
07-27-2004, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your mom, that really sucks.

April
07-27-2004, 01:47 AM
thats sad..but sounds like everyone looked after you well..and you werent alone..really..tell her hope shes feeling better for me and everyone else.
well..glad you still got to see some of the aca.
hope she heals fast and well.
too bad she didnt get to go..she wouldve enjoyed meeting dottie..who is also a veterianarian.

07-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Sorry to here that Ryan,

I wish your Mom a speedy recovery.
Am glad you could see a bit of the ACA and next time will be much much better for both of you :)

Ronald

Discus_KC
07-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Ryan,

Nice meeting you! Wishing the whole family the best !!!

Jack

korbi_doc
07-27-2004, 03:06 PM
::) ::) Ryan, glad things are looking better, & it was great to meet you. Yes, April, I was disappointed not meeting his mom, would've loved to meet another small animal vet, but maybe someday near Orlando when I'm retired & visiting, I can finally meet the family. Hope her recovery goes well Ryan, later, Dottie 8) 8)

rsawest
07-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Ryan,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's accident. It was nice to meet you, and looking forward to seeing you and your Mom next year! Healing wishes for your Mom.

Linda

yogi
07-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Ryan, I'm glad to hear your mom is out of the hospital and will be coming home soon. I hope for a speedy recovery.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone. She is doing so much better than what she was this past weekend. She really appreciates all of the get well wishes from everyone. She hopes to see everyone next year in Texas :cowboy:

-Ryan

CARY_GLdiscus
07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Ryan,
We are sad to hear this! Last time you and Mom payed us a vist I new from the start That You guys were GOOD People!

Please Do not worry about Your order and Payment I would like to send it anyways free of charge as a getwell Gift from Us to Your Mom ;D I'll email You soon!

Get BETTER SOON MOM!
Cary + family
Steve + family
Kent + family

xoxoxo

07-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi, Ryan:

Glad to hear your mom is recuperating very well. Talk about an adventure. I can just imagine.

Best regards,

*Angie*

Ryans Mom
08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Well, I have finally hobbled into the computer room to say thanks a million to everyone at the ACA for watching over Ryan while I was in the hospital. It was a bit scary letting him go by himself, but when I heard about how great everyone is and how much he was learning, I felt so much better. He really had a great time talking with everyone, he really learned so very much. A huge thank you for the gorgeous flowers. What a beautiful arrangement.
Cary, what can I say about your get well offer?? I was overwhelmed. As usual, you have shown yourself to be a wonderful and thoughtful person.
Dottie, I was so disappointed not to meet you. We'll compare notes next year!
I am healing well. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Thanks again to everyone .

-Marty Karcher

Jeff
08-01-2004, 07:46 PM
It was great to have Ryan around. He really helped me out a lot and I appreciate that Ryan. ;)

Discus_KC
08-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Great to see you are doing better !!!!

Now that son of your's !!!!!! Wow, we had our hands full keeping him in line !!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

We sure missed seeing you at the ACA.

Jack