PDA

View Full Version : PH Swing....

cesar_1304
07-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey Everyone...

I have moved to a new area... High Desert... and was doing test on my new setup and here is what I found:

New water from the tap (Using Mardel 5 in 1 test strip):

PH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity/Buffering Capacity: 120
Total Hardness: 250

After one week of heavy aeration PH and Buffering tank:

PH: Below 6.4 (Color is lighter than that provided)
Total Alkalinity/Buffering Capacity: 0
Total Hardness: 250

My concern is if I start using the RO system to get the hardness down will it cause a heavier ph swing? I am aging this water but since my discus are used to different params I have noticed some fin burns and slime peeling.

Any advice?

-Cesar

Carol_Roberts
07-27-2004, 02:50 PM
250 ppm is moderately hard water. Something is wrong for your buffer to be used up in one week. Zero buffer and the resultant pH drop is dangerous. Do you have fish in this tank?

cesar_1304
07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
yes... I have cull fish in the tank to test params... they seem to be swimming, eating and behaving fine... the only outward signs are the fin burns and excessive slime... Do I have to add some sort of buffer or have an extra step of treatment?

Carol_Roberts
07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
DAily water changes of 30% or more may add enough buffer each day to do the trick. The fin burns and slime may be from pH swinging down. Not good!

Cosmo
07-27-2004, 07:42 PM
If the color on the test strip is lighter, (indicating lower than the lowest reading the strip provides) then the ph can be anything below the lowest reading on the strip, even in the 4 range or below. I found this out the hard way when I assumed that since the color of the strip was only slightly lighter than the ph dip stick could read, I figured I was close, but when I bought a digital ph meter I discovered that the water was really in the mid 4's instead of the low six's like I had assumed. If your fish are showing signs of acid burn then you are probably much lower than that even. Buy yourself a digital meter, it's well worth your peace of mind and the health of your fish.

If you do, you are probably in for a surprise when you check your readings.

Also, isn't a buffer of 120 awfully high for a ph of only 7.6? Could your tester be off? Carol's right, with that much buffer in such hard water, ph crashing shouldn't be an issue.

If you go to RO, make sure you use a good KH buffer (I like Kent PH Stable but others online here use more natural means). Also, if you go to RO, the digital ph as well as a digital TDS is a must.

best of luck and hth
Jim

cesar_1304
07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
A digital PH meter is definatley on top of my wish list... still not sure if I should go with a pinpoint or a hannah...

The fin burns and slime seems to have stopped now but I am still wondering about my original question as to what will happen if I use my RO on low buffered water... will it make the ph dive even lower?

Also Jim mentioned natural means of buffering water... can anyone talk a bit more on that?

My new home seems to have a strange water source (i.e. low ph/ hard water).... Or maybe just got to used to the city water (i.e. stable ph/liquid rock)....

-CS

Don_Lee
07-28-2004, 05:40 PM
I would think your pH would dive more with the use of RO water with the low buffered water.........perhaps you could reconstitute the water with RO Right or something to make sure the parameters are where you would like them. I would consider getting a good pH/hardness meter from Randall, he has the Hanna brand combos for cheap and the meter would be very helpful in getting a handle on your water. You really need to know about your water thoroughly before you put some discus in there........
There are ways of adding KH/GH to the water, but I am not sure of the recipes or ingredients. You could ask for further details in the water section, or perhaps one of our resident water experts will see your post here..........

Good Luck,

Don ;D

Don_Lee
07-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Check the thread about how to increase water hardness in this discussion area. Lots of info, just what you need I think,

Don ;D

Carol_Roberts
07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I'd start with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals GH/KH and pH test kits. Don't use RO if you are having pH crashes.