PDA

View Full Version : conductivity affect pairing?

07-29-2004, 10:00 PM
I was just wondering since I have discus approaching a year old now,why I'm not getting any signs of pairing. I don't know the exact conductivity of my water yet but I know it is very hard! Can this actually keep discus from even pairing up or does it just affect the eggs hatching?

Cosmo
07-29-2004, 11:29 PM
All I know is that in my tank, when I drop the conductivity they get a whole lot friskier. I normally keep mine pretty low and several pairs have gotten together and spawned in the community tank. When I raised the hardness the spawning activity stopped ?
Jim

Rick00
07-30-2004, 02:37 AM
Lowering the conductivity certainly will help.....But first i think you should get a meter and see where your at....And then go from there...

Rick

Cosmo
07-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Yep,

You definately need a meter before you start messing around. Get a good PH meter too.

Hanna makes a condutivity meter that swithes between microsemes (conductivity) and TDS (ppm) - called the DiSt5.

Drsfostersmith.com carries them, but RandalB may also at a better price.

Jim

kaceyo
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm usinga handheld TDS meter I got from RandalB at an excelent price. I love it. But what would be the advantage in having a TDS/conductivity combo? Kaceyo