PDA

View Full Version : yellow sand

slevytam
07-31-2004, 01:49 AM
Hi,

I am trying to get a hold of some yellow(silver) sand. Something like that found in amazon acid pools.

Any idea where I could find this?? I have tried all the pet stores and lawn/garden centres in my area!

Thanks,

Shalom

krandrus
07-31-2004, 07:18 PM
I seem to remember that the yellow sand was actually an effect of the color of the water. The sand I saw when I was there was very white.

Just thought I would point that out.

slevytam
07-31-2004, 10:01 PM
any idea how to replicate this effect?

i got the name yellow(silver) sand from the book Aquarium Designs...

S

ChloroPhil
08-01-2004, 11:43 AM
slevytam,

First of all let me welcome you to SD. It's always good to have new faces here.

Silver sand is pure, fine grain, silica sand and can be found at pool supply stores. Many pool filters use it as a media to catch very fine grain particles. I've tried it before and wouldn't recommend using it as it's too fine grain and compacts, killing everything below 1/4" under the surface. If you're interested in a natural look larger grain silica sand around the #2 and #3 grain size (2 and 3 millimeters respectively) works well.

Best,
Phil

slevytam
08-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

Just a few quick questions in response. Do the pool supply stores carry the #2 and #3 grain size. I haven't found it at any of the LFS around here. They just have white sand.

Also, I read somewhere that a heating coil makes the silver sand compact less and is better for plants. Is this true? I also read that heating coils are useless in tanks with such high temperatures (discus tanks).

Thanks again,

Shalom

aggie_67
08-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Sandblasting supply houses have different sizes of sand, silica and garnet. They have shary edges, has anyone used them.

They also sell glass beads which might be interesting.

slevytam
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi,

I just went to my local pool store and grabbed some silica sand. I think it looks bad. It is pretty much white with black and grey speckles all mixed in. Is this what it should look like?

ChloroPhil
08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
That's silica sand to be sure. Those dark inclusions are probably granite or basalt that's been mixed in inadvertently. Aside from looks I wouldn't worry about it.

Best,
Phil

Danse
08-02-2004, 08:27 PM
I was just looking at that pool filter sand, just like slevytams picture, any thoughts on how it will do for a lightly planted tank ?