PDA

View Full Version : My Discus!!!

RedestWing
07-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Hello,

it's been a while since I have been on. Here I am almost a year into the hobby and I just now get pics on here...lol! Oh well, better late than never!

RedestWing
07-31-2004, 03:02 PM
I am not sure what this guy is. I swear hes a Blue Turq, but then he changes green in color....lol!

RedestWing
07-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Blue Diamond

RedestWing
07-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Red Turq

Barb Newell
08-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi RedestWing, thanks for the pics. Your blue/green turq has some unique markings... and your tank looks spotless :thumbsup:

Question; is that a plant in the last pic?

Barb

RedestWing
08-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Yes, its one of those 'ole cheapy fake plants with the wheighted bottom. that way they can somewhat feel at home! ;D

Carol_Roberts
08-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Some of your discus look happy and healthy and others look dark and emaciated. I would pull the runted sickly discus and either euthanize them or put them in their own tank. They can easily get very sick and harbor parasites and bacteria they can compromise the health of your other discus. All of us have runted, sickly fish from time to time - best not to keep them with the healthy fish.

oodi
08-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Redest,

What foods do you feed, and how often?

Judi
:)

RedestWing
08-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanx for the Advice Carol! Alot of the reason for them lookin so dark is cause from the lighting. When they get up to the front of the tank the Dark color goes away..lol. The lighting would of been better but I had a seal go on my 75 gallon and I had to throw them in a 30 gallon temp tank. the 2 smaller Discus I sorta saved from bad conditions. they were not fed right and water conditions were poor. there may be 1 of them I take out due to no wheight gain, but yet he/she feeds like a pig, but still I just got them not even a week ago so we shall see. And if I do have to rid of the Discus, what is the best way to cull him/her, I would feel horrible doing it but I understand that sometimes things have to be done.

As for feeding, I feed 3 times a day a mix of Blood Worms, Brine Shrimp and Jack Watley Beef Heart Mix.... all frozen. I have tried the Color bits, but they just look at me like "whats this crap" ...lol. :P

oodi
08-01-2004, 03:16 PM
lol..

You might want to also increase the number of feedings per day to 4 or 5. Also watch to make sure that all of them are getting their fair share.

Judi

RedestWing
08-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Believe it or not I have been lucky ... the Bigger ones will only chase each other around ... they do not mind the Juvi's eating. I know it is not ideal for diff sizes to be together, but hey if it works I will not complain! As for the feeding, I did not know I should feed that much..lol. you learn everyday ;D

oodi
08-01-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm suggesting the increased feedings, as I agree with Carol... some of them do look emaciated. I would also follow Carol's advice.

Judi

RedestWing
08-01-2004, 03:22 PM
These 2 May hit it off. They tend to be around each other alot and the Blue/green Turq has been doin the Jig :bounce:

RedestWing
08-01-2004, 03:24 PM
future Couple..lol