PDA

View Full Version : Time from juvenile to adult & philodendron

Dahlia
07-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Hello!

I wanted to ask what the average time is for a newborn discus fry to achieve its full adult size if it is pampered with plenty of room, daily 50% water changes. and 4+ feedings of varied high quality foods a day? This would be in a barebottom tank.

I know it won't be exact for every fish, I was just wondering generally how long it takes.

Would it change much if the fish was acquired at the 1" or 2.5" size?

Also, if I was to let a houseplant like philodendron dangle its roots in my discus tank, would they eat the roots or otherwise be harmed by the plant in any way? I thought it might help with the nitrates in addition to frequent water changes.

Carol_Roberts
08-01-2004, 01:06 AM
A well cared for discus will reach adult size between 14 - 18 months on average although they will continue to fill out. Many discus are sold at 3 - 4 months old.

I have philodendrons in many of my discus tanks. They do not eat philodendron roots

Dahlia
08-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks!

kelseygirl
08-01-2004, 01:06 PM
I just threw the philodendron cuttings in the tank and watched them take root. I don't do anything else. REALLY helped with nitrates.

oodi
08-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Same here...

All of our tanks have cuttings in them. They do very well, and root quickly.

Judi
:)

Dahlia
08-01-2004, 06:12 PM
So you are saying you actually submerge the plant leaves and all? I was just going to put the end of stems in it.

oodi
08-01-2004, 09:05 PM
No, Dahlia...

Just put the cut end into the tank, and let the rest hang over the side. Here's a pic

Judi
:)

Anonapersona
08-02-2004, 08:36 AM
So you are saying you actually submerge the plant leaves and all? I was just going to put the end of stems in it.

Really, you can submerge it, it will live for many months totally submerged but eventually it will start to suffer.