PDA

View Full Version : Color questions LeopXTurq & RSGXSnow

Lauren
08-05-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm going to be ordering fish from Cary soon, he has some LeopXTurq in stock and I was wondering what they may look like, and would is be possible that afew of the offsping would be spotty and some would be turq? I know genetics are a weird thing, but trying to get an idea of what might happen lol

Also, do you all think an RSG X Snowflake(Kind of white~Pink with red spots) & LeopXTurq pair would make good looking or bad looking fry?
I cant seem to narrow down what I want to order and trying to take into consideration what mixes would make good pairs :D

Thanks
Lauren

JeffreyRichard
08-05-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm going to be ordering fish from Cary soon, he has some LeopXTurq in stock and I was wondering what they may look like, and would is be possible that afew of the offsping would be spotty and some would be turq? I know genetics are a weird thing, but trying to get an idea of what might happen lol

Thanks
Lauren

Leopards are a bit quirky from a genetics perspective based on my understanding and observations. A Leopard X RedTurq should be a strong cross ... RT are genetically strong. However, it appears the RT genes are dominent, so I would guess that the f0 would appear as RTs. You might find some Leopards in the f1, and more likely in the f2. I think it would be an interesting experiment to chart this ... maybe help us all understand Discus genetics a little better.

Too bad they are not like angelfish ... predictable and understood ...

08-05-2004, 01:53 PM
You must be joking to talk about gentic in today's discus. IMHO Breeders are now crossing every singel fish in their hatchery to create new strain and different looking fish in order to compete. It is also due to the fact that spotted fish are in high demand and a pair of spotted fish has no guarantee to produce spotted F1 and 90% spots disappear in F2. Breeders are now crossing every combination possible to create spotted fish and non-dust fish. Today's turquoise are mostly came from high quality spotted SS parents. Just because they have 9 bars and no spots. A brood of spotted Leopard can have a big variation of prices. an adult can be sold from $60 -$800. depending on how they look. The best buy of today's domestic is turquoise. I have a pair of foster parents turquoise gives me Spotted leopard and RSG fry consistantly. Sometimes they have a few completely golden fry with not a speckle of dust. They must have their genes.
Jimmy.

Lauren
08-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Jefferey,
Yeah angelfish are so easy :P
But I think its also sort of fun not knowing what you're going to get.

JimmyL, no no, I wish I was joking... ;) I dont mind variables, I dont expect to pull all spotteds or anywhere close to it, but just curious about possibilities.

Sounds like a good pair to have though.

Lauren

fishfarm
08-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Coming from Cary you can't go wrong, I'd think some leopards would show in the first generation, at least some of the old stype leopards that are broken barred Turks. I got some of the RSG cross white fry from Cary and they are maturing to such nice fish I bought the pair from him. They are basically a white fish with lots of little red dots on their bodies, Almost a white leopard. Ken

Rick_May
08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Well,
the way I look it, everything out there is a "cross" of some kind, except some wilds. I personaly like the SFXRSG. I also like that Cary tells you what it is, its a cross, and their's nothing wrong with that. Heres one of mine SFXRSG

Anonapersona
08-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Coming from Cary you can't go wrong, I'd think some leopards would show in the first generation, at least some of the old stype leopards that are broken barred Turks.

I'm interested in this comment, I have a lot of broken barred turks in my batch. What is an "old style leopard"?

Rick00
08-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Lauren,

Here's a few examples of a Lep X Turq cross....I did this cross and youll get a mostly Turqs and some spotted tuqs...These fish are 15 months old

HTH

Rick

Rick00
08-06-2004, 11:18 PM
another

Rick00
08-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I like the base color on this one....

08-06-2004, 11:43 PM
That's a very beautiful fish Rick!! That beats most of the expansive fish. Nice body shape.
To answer Lauren's second question. RSG is the most popular cross with any strain of discus. Most of the spotted fish came from a RSG father. Using a daugter to back cross the father will usually result a highly spotted fish.
This is a cross RSG X Snow white. The one at the background has no spots but carry the spotted genes. Using him to cross with any SS will result 30-40% spotted fry.

08-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Another less potted cross. I'm using her to back cross the father Tefe RSG. Just have 2 days old free swimmers. See if I get some white cloud Leopard from her.
Jimmy.

Lauren
08-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Awesome pictures :o

Sounds like its definitely worth trying it out if nothing else, I even love red turqs so they may not be some fancy smancy newer strain but they're pretty imho and so far all the pics of the rsgxsnowflakes i've seen I love.

;D

Thanks all

Willie
08-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Lauren;

In general, I try to cross traditional strains with themselves and pigeon blood types with themselves. Crossing a traditional strain with a pigeon blood type may produce mud. If you had to make a choice, I recommend you go with RTs, snakeskins, etc. They have a better chance of getting frys to attach and raising the young past the critical first 4 days.

Willie

Lauren
08-09-2004, 12:36 AM
is one of those types PB based? This is one thing I'm trying to avoid, I'd rather not end up with majority being mud/peppered all over or something -, which is one reason I made this post is to find out.

Thanks
Lauren

Carol_Roberts
08-09-2004, 01:20 AM
No Pigeon in LeopXTurq & RSGXSnow

Lauren
08-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks Carol ;D