PDA

View Full Version : Visiting San Francisco this week ... suggestions

JeffreyRichard
08-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Besides Universial, any other breeders in the area I should/could visit?

oodi
08-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Cliffs Discus and Fairly Lakes are a couple. Sunrise is a little south of SF (Daly City, I believe).

Judi
:)

jaydoc
08-05-2004, 12:26 PM
I got my first order of mail order fish from Universal and my 2nd from Sunrise. one week apart. ( I ordered from both because of availability of specific strains)
Both were very good to deal with and I got some really nice fish from both. Also got a couple of duds. If you go in person, you should do fine. Remember that both of these places have both domestic bred and imported fish so know what you are getting. For example, Leopard spotted snake skins are probably imported and therefore probably hormoned. Just ask.

Cary the lesser

Tad
08-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Jeffrey,
If you visit Universal its best to call Samson to make an appointment as he is extremely busy but he will accomodate your schedule...Last time I was there he had the most incredible San Merah that I have ever seen. Lots of RSGs and lots of Juveniles too. In fact hes got a lot of pairs working ;). Sunrise is in a shopping center and pretty much the classic LFS. Tony has quite a few tanks Fairy Lakes is a small shop, but the trip is well worth it to meet Herman. I guarantee he will probably invite you to lunch or dinner. Extremely friendly guy and make sure to ask to see his breeders behind the show tanks ;D. I would also IM Cliffsdiscus and see if he has anything available. I havent had the chance to visit him yet but will do so before the end of the year. (he is highly regarded in the Bay Area), He knows almost all who have discus and he might be able to refer you to others.

HTH,
Tad

FischAutoTechGarten
08-05-2004, 02:57 PM
When you visit Fairy Lake Discus Palace, be sure to bring back some of his Rams. You can buy them small and inexpensive. However, I recommend buying one of his breeding pair that will only set you back $25 or so.

Wish I knew sooner, I would have had you bring back 3 or 4 pair for me (would have compensated you handsomely)and then driven to CT/RI to pick them up!

They are the nicest Rams I've ever seen. (Just don't put them on a strict CBW diet!)

goldengatediscus
08-06-2004, 01:30 AM
What exact dates will you be here? You can IM me if you wish.
Brigitte

jeep
08-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Go to Fairy Lakes and tell Herman that little blonde haired kid from 30 years ago says hi ;D

He gave me my first tank and discus 8)

shalu
08-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Herman's ram breeding pairs now run about $39 last time I visited ;)
I did get a bunch of juvenile rams.

bernie82
08-14-2004, 01:08 AM
You could come see me. I live in Elk Grove near Sacramento and I have some Discus I could be pursueded to sell. I have 4 breeding pair working and raisng their own and some yellow/ gold fry that are ready to go. I also have an excellent colony of 6 Blue Diamonds. I raised them from 2 inches and got them from Herman Chan (Fairy lake). I have a 4 inch pair of San Merah and some nice one year old Leopard Snakeskins. Last but not least a colony of 6 Red Passions about 10 months old.
If you'r looking for a fire sale, you probably won't buy anything.
Picture available upon request. There's a Discus meeting on August 22 and Cliff will be there, possibly Herman Chan, Brigette, and myself. I hope you can make it.

Lauren
08-14-2004, 07:22 PM
OOO Jeffrey bring me back some discus and an Universal hat ;D ;D just kidding!

have fun! I've never been off the east Coast so be sure to let us all know how the trip goes.

Lauren

JeffreyRichard
08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies ... ended up with no time for Discus (opted for Golf on my limited leasure time ... shot a 81!)

Tad
08-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Sandbagger ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeff,
If ever in fhe SF area give me a hollar and maybe we can hook up for fish and golf..

84 yesterday ugggh 45/39

regards,
Tad