PDA

View Full Version : WHAT WORKS FOR ME!

highfive
08-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Six months ago I started the discus hobby expecting it to be a tough grind. To my surpirse, it has been anything but that.

Since quality water is the most important factor, I set up an inline filter with a 35 gallon holding tank. You can see by the photos that I use the PYTHON SYSTEM. The filter is a TASTE PURE from Walmart, $17.50. It last for many months. You can use the water in the holding tank after 24 hours, if needed.

The holding tank is filled with very warm water to assist the 200 Watt Ebo-Jager heater inside. I have a small Rio Pump to keep the water circulating and a 450 mag-drive with 50 foot attached hose to reach all of my aquariums. The one photo, attached, shows my release valve. I never have to worry about the city water fluctuation, which have been plenty.

I had to experiment on how often to make water changes. What works is a water change every 13 days, including filters. I could go longer, but it requires more work to clean the tanks. Even after 13 days, the tanks are very clear.

Feeding was the next challenge. I've settled on frozen bloodworms in the AM, Wardley's Shrimp Pellets at NOON, and Tetra Bits at NIGHT. I never over feed. They consume it within five minutes.

The growth of all the discus have been normal. No loss of fish. I started with various sizes.

TANKS:

100 - 9 ADULTS, 1 LARGE CHINESE SALFIN
75 - 13 MEDIUM SIZE
75 - 4 MEDIUM SIZE (new tank)

I put off keeping discus for four years due to all the scary pitfalls. I hope this helps someone get started now.

jaydoc
08-07-2004, 05:22 PM
What are your water parameters?
A large docile chinese sailfin seems like a great tank mate for discus- I had one 13 years ago and had kinda forgotten about them. Anybody else keep them with their discus?

cary the lesser

highfive
08-07-2004, 06:39 PM
The Chinese Sailfin really gets along with the discus. My PH is 6.8, Temp 85.

highfive

jaydoc
08-07-2004, 06:48 PM
My Ph is 8.2 to 8.6
I wonder if the sail fin can tolerate this?
Years ago I had trouble with them and assumed my water was too hard. At that time though I was young and ignorant and had them in a planted tank with gravel, only an undergravel filter and way too many fish in the tank. I only did water changes every month or two and mostly just topped off the tank. I wonder how htey would do in my now pristine 175 gallon setup even though the water is hard? Anybody know?

highfive
08-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I've had my sailfin for a year now. Everything I've read, before and after getting him, shows a top PH75 and Temp 82. He has done fine with my 85 temp.

highfive

Willie
08-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Your adult discus will do okay, but don't expect a lot of growth on the medium sized fish with one water change every 13 days.

Willie

highfive
08-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the input, Willie. Starting with a medium size discus, what length of time would you expect it to reach adult size?

highfive