PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier water

PTDiscus
08-08-2004, 11:03 AM
G'Day one and all.

Here is a quick question. I have read that many people use Dehumidifier's in there homes, fish rooms, etc... Here's the question....

What do you do with the water???

Does anyone use it in-conjuction with their water changes, aged water etc..?

If so what do you do, ie. add it to your aged water so they age and blend together? Just dump it in?

I was thinking about this the other day and did a quick check and the biggest different in my water from my dehumidifier is the Ph.. It is 1.0 lower than my aged water.

And I guess the last question is do you just toss the water down the drain, on your plants etc???

Thanks

Pat & Terri
PTDiscusİ

Carol_Roberts
08-08-2004, 12:07 PM
I don't believe people use dehumidifier water. I can't remember what I read - - - - It may contain bacteria, fungus spores, etc .

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-08-2004, 12:15 PM
I wouldnt use it as the water that comes from a dehumdifier has gone through copper tubing. the water is basically distilled water, but once it is condensed after going through the copper coils, it picks up some copper and copper is bad for discus.

-Ryan

susankay1
08-08-2004, 05:09 PM
I have been using mine on adult discus, but I wash the bucket every couple of days. Not sure about the copper but have not noticed any ill effects. Maybe Im just lucky so far.

aloha_discus
08-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Check the AMMONIA level that is about the only thing that I tested for and dont use because of it.HTH

Ike ;D

ronrca
08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Ryan is correct! Id not recommend using it for the reasons Ryan mentioned. Its not worth the risk if something were to happen.

PTDiscus
08-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your reply's. I posted in a couple of other groups and the results are mixed. Basically 50/50
I have tested mine here and the only differences in the Ph. Everything else is almost the same as my aged water.
I do fortunely live in a new home and all our water lines are pvc. But most older homes and apartments would have cooper lines in them. Unless a major renovation have been they would still be there.

Since the reply's have been almost 50% use this water....and 50% do not use it. I guess I will hold off and run more tests and ask more questions. Living down here in the South we have lots of humidity year round and is a good possible source of water.

Pat