PDA

View Full Version : HELP...NOT SURE WHAT TO THINK?

BKT
08-09-2004, 10:50 PM
I have 5 fish that i bought few months back, they are still juveniles. I fed them some worms the other day, prob to many and a larger one and a smaller one had round big stomachs swimming sideways and woddleing so to speak. I talked with pete smith and decided they may have a small case of bloat. I used some epsom salt and it cured the big one the next day, couldnt tell anything was wrong. The smaller one though does not eat, does not socialize with the other 10 in the 55 gal tank. He stays to himself. I used some metro twice in about a week and a half but still not change. The color of the fish has not changed and not external parasites noticed. He faces the back of the tank and just swims in place.

the ph is 6.0 and the temp is 86f. Any help would be appreciated. Should I try another dose of epsom salt again after a water change?

thanks..
-Brian

jeep
08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
I would suggest lowering the temp to around 82. It's possible they could have suffered a little internal damage, and if so there could be a little infection or bacterial problem. Higher temps can aid bacterial growth.

Keep up the epsom and add about 2 or 3TBS of regular non-iodized salt per 10 gallons. If it doesn't clear up in a day or so, Kanacyn is a good antibiotic for internal issues. Double dose the first day and then dose regularly for the next 6 days.

Brian

CARY_GLdiscus
08-11-2004, 02:50 AM
IME Fish are Not Warm Blooded

So heat would not encourge Bacteria in them or on them like Mammals. However The heat would spoil the food faster thats stuck in the gut only makeing the problem worst. Not to mention higher heat will also lower the oxygen levels Causeing the fish to suffercate. When the fish is bloated either by fluids to fight off Bacteria or from food that is stuck in the gut there is alot of presure build up on the internal organs that makes it hard enough for the fish to pull in amounts of oxygen thats needed.
hth
Cary + family

BKT
08-20-2004, 01:12 AM
:Dfinally got him/her to start eating again. I placed him/her in a 5 1/2 gal tank with metro and fed him black worms. It took a couple of days but he's doing it. I put only three or four in there to see if he was eating and they disappeared. cool...thanks everyone for the help...i'll keep my eye on him/her for a while....

Brian

CARY_GLdiscus
08-20-2004, 01:42 AM
;D