PDA

View Full Version : My first discus rearing

caca
08-10-2004, 02:36 AM
hello:

it's my first post here. :)
i bought my discus 8 days ago, 4 imported from Malaysia or Thailand, 2 from local fish farm.
i keep them in a planted tank. i thought the plant would ease their stress. it seems everyone here suggest a bare bottom tank.
my fishes freak out when i watch them. so i couldn't get too close to the tank (no less than 3 feet), otherwise they would just hide between the plants. i 've got to wait a few mins for them to come out. is it due to the planted tank?
they dont have appetite, only one would wander around and look for food. i tried to feed them on brine shrimp, they refused to eat. now i just feed them flakes.
i change 1/4 of tank water daily, but difficult to siphon all the waste because i used Benificial baterial to balance the new system and the tank is planted. i dare not take out the plant to wash, scared of changing environment to fishes.

think i should be more patient, really want to hear good suggestions from you guys

Carol_Roberts
08-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi Caca and welcome to SimplyDiscus :wave: What are you using for a filter? Was your filter fully cycled before adding the discus?

Howie_W
08-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi Caca,

Welcome aboard!

Please tell us more about your set-up; How big is your tank? How is it laid out?…heavily planted? Is there plenty of open space for the fish to swim around in? How is it being filtered?

How long had the tank been set-up and running before you added the Discus?

How old are your fish?…I’m assuming they’re juveniles.

Howie

caca
08-11-2004, 07:46 AM
;)Thanks for your warm welcome.

i have to correct myself. my friend said my tank is not planted. i put 4 plants attached to drift wood inside. so the bottom is not fully covered.

good news!!! just now when i came back and changed water, one of the leopards came in front of the tank. he wasnt' scared at all, which resulted in the other 4 coming out from the plant. i couldn't describe how joyful i was, i still am:).

my tank is only 22.47 gallon, because over here we are more familiar with british units. 2 ft(L)*1ft(W)*1.5ft(H).

i think it's very soon that all the fishes can swim lively even though i am nearby. 8) the problem still existing is that the other 5 fishes treat the flakes invisible. i just give some time for them to adjust their appetite, cos i know they were fed on bloodworm or beefheart, but i can't put them into fridge in dorm. the only food i can provide are dry shrimp, flakes.

yes they are stil juvenile. i have run the tank 3 days before i introduced my fishes in. Tempreture is maintained at 84 DegF

i dont have a filter. i think if i can do daily water change, without a filter is not a big deal, though having it is better to fishes. but i do have water pump , heater and some stones. i have a lot of constraint. when i save up more, i get all these done.

really thanks for your concern. :D

Carol_Roberts
08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
With 6 discus in a 22 gallon tank (and no filter) you need to do two 50% water changes per day. More as the fish grow. You need to buy a filter right away. It may take 4 - 6 weeks to cycle. Very soon you will need a bigger tank for your 6 discus.

Jean
08-11-2004, 01:05 PM
;D I agree with Carol- watch your water for ammonia and then the nitrites. More than two wc per day could be necessary.

I'd start to look for a larger tank. A 55 would work; or if you plan on getting more later, go with a larger tank than that.

Jean ;D 8)

caca
08-12-2004, 10:41 AM
i agree with you, Carol and Jean. w/o filter, frequent water change is necessary. i add Tetra Blackwater in too, trying to creat a Amazon-like environment for them.

they are very active when no one is around. as long as they keep healthy, sooner or later they will recognise me.

BAD NEWS TODAY!! The Stingray my bf bought today is dying now, but we can't do anything to help :(

i can't really know how he is now, only know about it through phone. May god bless him!

Howie_W
08-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi caca,

I’m sorry to hear about your Stingray. I’m sorry to say this, but without a filter, your fish are not going to survive.

You need to buy a filter immediately. Just doing water changes is not going to work. Soon after that you’re going to need to get a larger tank.

Good luck.

Howie

caca
08-13-2004, 05:24 AM
thanks. the stingray managed to survive:)
i will get the filter soon, later when i am free i will post some pics here ;D