PDA

View Full Version : The great cardinal die off

Wolf_Mek
08-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Hey all, I thought maybe you guys could help me out, as I am puzzled about something that has taken place over the last two weeks.

Two weeks ago, I bought 13 cardinal tetras and put them in our newly set-up 55g. Also, at that time, I took a filter sponge that has been sitting in the back of my 38g so that the tank would be seeded with the needed bacteria.

Days one and two went by without incident, but on the night of day two, we lost one cardinal. The next night, we lost a few more, at this time, I noticed that they had a white film on their lower mouth, so I did a 30% water change, added 1tbsp NaCl per 10g and also added the recommended dose of quick cure (for tetras) as I know it has formalin in it which can help against fungal infections. I also tested the water (before the water change) which came up with no ammonia and no nitrites. They continued to drop like flies, some got dropsy, some died from no visible disease, and one's back end started turning white and he become paralyzed in that area. There is only one remaining now, and he's been alone for 3 days now. When I spook him, he tumbles around like he has no motor control, then he stops and swims someone normaly... but still seems dazed.

Some more info, I don't know if all of it's relivant, but here goes. The 55g was previoulsy a SW tank that did not have any coral. We rinsed filters with hot water and rinsed the tank out with the hose outside. There was some thread-like algae growing on the bottom during this whole incident which looked more like SW algae than any FW algae I have ever encountered. The water temperature is kept at a steady 86F (because this will eventually become a discus tank).

If any of you have any idea what may have gone on or you need more info, let me know. Until then, I hesitate to put anything in this tank.

Thanks
Puma

Anonapersona
08-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I'll make a guess at Columnaris. There are many things that will work. Massive water changes, lower temps are most important.

What medications do you have on hand? Melafix may help, but stronger meds may be needed.

CARY_GLdiscus
08-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Neomycin sulphate at 500mg

copper,PP,HP, hyde are much to harsh for theses guys ;)

Wolf_Mek
08-11-2004, 07:44 AM
I have melafix on hand.

I still have the remaining cardinal, who seems to be on the road to recovery, at least he's acting better.

So, you guys don't think there's anything wrong with the tank (or anything else in it) itself?

CARY_GLdiscus
08-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Could of just been PH shock ;)

Wolf_Mek
08-11-2004, 10:37 AM
I didn't even think of that, and it could very well have been it. I didn't do the acclimation procedure for these guys, so I don't know how my brother went about it.

Thanks for the tip!