PDA

View Full Version : Question on Carbon

Barb Newell
08-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi, does anyone run their tap water through a carbon cartridge to remove chlorine, then into the tanks? If yes, do you add minerals back into the water?

Barb

tony1313
08-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi Barb,
I set up a drip system about 7 weeks ago. The tap runs through a sediment and 2 carbons. I haven't had any problems and even came back from vacation to a batch of fry. I'm really not sure what minerals are stripped out though.

Tony

Barb Newell
08-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks Tony. I've heard it has something to do with growth, but maybe it's just a rumour.

Barb :)

jeep
08-11-2004, 11:28 PM
I've heard not to run carbon in tank filtration and I've heard a few say not to use it as a pre-filter, but I run all my water through my RO unit and use the waste water for adults. Never had a problem.

I don't think a carbon pre-filter will remove much except chlorine and sediment.

Barb Newell
08-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Thanks Brian.

Carol_Roberts
08-12-2004, 02:12 AM
One pass through carbon is fine. The problems are associated with water run continuously through carbon in a filter. I'm not sure what it removes or leeches back into the water with continuous use.

Barb Newell
08-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Carol,
One pass through carbon is fine. Thanks Carol :). That makes water changes a lot easier!

Barb

Larry Grenier
08-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey Barb,

Here's how I run water from the tap directly (sort of) into my tanks.

http://larrygrenier.brinkster.net/drp/h20-prep.gif

Barb Newell
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi Larry, that's quite the setup! Very nice, what is Chemipure?

We got the pvc fill done to one group of tanks in my recroom, built the drainage, cut it through the wall to the floor drain in my laundry room.... only to find out that the floor drain is plugged and doesn't drain ??? I'm glad I found out while draining fish tanks and not during a real flood emergency. Ho hummmm.... who said keeping discus was easy!?!?

Larry Grenier
08-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's a description of chemipure. It's typically put in powerfilters.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/chemipure/Class//T1/F39+0092+0008/Itemdy00.aspx

Have fun opening the drain in the laundry room floor... try not to inhale :puke:

Barb Newell
08-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Larry...... :smash: :smash: :smash:... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: IT'S OPEN :sick: :sick:

try not to inhale
PS.... I read your post after opening the drain....... I inhaled! :-\

Barb

Condor
08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Cool setup, Larry. Thanks for posting the diagram

jared
08-13-2004, 03:50 AM
The problems associated with carbon are due to the fact that some forms of activated carbon are from incinerated crushed coral/ or similar compounds. If your carbon comes from this kind of source then continuous use as part of the filter can leech minerals into the water. In this way a large flux in tds can occur which can affect a weak or sensitive discus. I don't think that carbon used for prefilter blocks is of the same origin. Aren't those things rated to a given pore size? If so, this is probably not activated carbon, but porous carbon that only lets certain sizes of particles through, instead of binding up free particles as is the case for activated carbon. HTH
Jared

Larry Grenier
08-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Barb... :funny:

But I do hope your feeling better :wave:

Ardan
08-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi,
I used to run tap water through a carbon filter and then a drip system into the tanks.
the only possible problem was when the filter was a new cartridge it would raise the ph if I didn't rinse it long enough.
Otherwise I like the system but now use a periodic wc (once a day) rather than continuous drip.

hth
Ardan

Barb Newell
08-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I am running the water from the tap, through a sediment filter, then through a carbon cartridge and straight into the tanks. Seems to be working fine. Fish don't twitch at all. Seems too good to be true.

How long will a carbon cartridge last? I'm running 250 - 300 gals through it daily.

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Typically they can last about 20,000 gallons. I use a similar set up. 1 sediment and 2 carbons then straight into the holding tanks. Havent had any problems with it. I just change the carbon filters out about once every months or 2 and the sediment when it starts to get dirty.

-Ryan