PDA

View Full Version : Strange disease

TOMMY
08-17-2004, 12:30 AM
I know I should have asked earlier but I was trying to fix this one myself but in vain. I was able to tackle all other disease before (thanks to Carol and this forum) but this one is a real fighter. I've tried medication, salt, filter changes, etc.
I attached a photograph. Can anyone identify this and please help me fix my babies?

Any thoughs are much appreciated.

Frustated,
Tom

CARY_GLdiscus
08-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Tom From The pic it looks like a Skratch on the fish and a dryed Blkworm on the glass.

Do all Your fish have This? can we get More pics?

How are Your fish acting? Do they eat well?

Any Skratching Or dashing?

Please help Us Help You! ;)

TOMMY
08-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Cary my man! The babies I got from you are doing wonderful! I have them in this tank though and I am afraid they will get this disease from the others... I have no spare tank anymore.
Above the lateral line it seems like their skin is starting to be eaten by some kind of parasite. On one it looks like the skin started drying up but all above the lat. line. Here is another picture.
And yes they eat very well. No scratching though. BTW that is not a dried black worm on the glass, it is part of the discus skin dried up.

Thanks, Tom

TOMMY
08-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Here is the guy with the worst case of it (actually started the whole thing and spread) He actually stopped eating yesterday.

CARY_GLdiscus
08-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Tom,
Very weird indeed almost looks to me like some type of burn
Maybe from some type of toxin.

What are Your water parameters and tank size?

How many discus are in this tank?

Please tell Us about Your W/C regime.

Have You used formaldahyde or any other oxidizer lately?

Thanks
Cary + family

Barb Newell
08-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi Tom, do you have any plecos in the tank (looks like something is attaching onto them), or other fish that may be attacking the sides of the discus at night?

I'd get lots of salt in there to begin, and an antibiotic - Furan2 is good. What meds have you tried?

Barb

fshngal
08-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Tom,

Is this a planted tank? If so, have you bleached the plants before placing them into the tank???

How many different tanks of discus is this affecting?

Just curious,
Fshngal

Northwestcoastdisc
08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I agree with Cary, Barbm Angie are correct.

Try give them a lot of water change and clean and wipe all sides of glasses also give them 2 TBS of salt, They will get better in 2 or 3 days.

HTH
Duncan

Carol_Roberts
08-17-2004, 06:18 PM
I think I've seen something similiar to this on the board recently. In that case the mark progressed to a large open sore and the discus died. I hope this isn't the case for you. :-\