PDA

View Full Version : Double Helix UV's

Cosmo
08-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Is it just the websites and mags I read, or have the Double Helix UV sterilizers disappeared from the market?? I know I had problems with the one I used to own but thought that was only due to my stupidity (left it on while the pump was off for cleaning... umm... twice). Use the Coral Life "twist" type now and have them plugged into a multiple outlet that the pump is plugged into as well. Turn one off, they both go off... foolproof?

Anyone else have problems with these? Anyone seeing anyone still selling them (not that I'm looking, just curious)
Jim

RandalB
08-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Jim,
The company that made the double helix went out of business.....

The Turbo twist is a better all around product IMO, much easier to connect and maintain and I get 'em cheap!

RandalB

korbi_doc
08-17-2004, 09:43 PM
??? ??? Does that mean we can't get the bulbs for the double helix?? I like them & I have 2 that have been working over a yr, & I'm gonna need bulbs. :waaa: Every time something works well for me, they take it off the market!!! :waaa: Any chance the turbo twist bulbs will fit the unit?? yeah right huh?? ??? Dottie

Denny
08-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah,

But you don't want to know the price of the adapter lol ;D

Cosmo
08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Dottie,

did see a website selling the bulbs, but go to so many not sure which one it was. Could be customaquatics.com or championlighting.com. If not, try thafishplace, petsolutions, or drsfostersmith.

Good Luck

Jim

Randal,

Agree, the turbo twist is a much better all around product - was thinking of picking up another, I'll give you a call soon.
Jim

RandalB
08-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Jim,
I don't sell them, but I'll be happy to get you one at cost...

RandalB

korbi_doc
08-21-2004, 11:18 AM
:bounce2: Thanks Jim, found them in Fostersmith catalog, the other 2 didn't have'm. Now I hope they have the size when I call. Have to pull them out of the tank & dismantle the bulb part, (supposed to be easy) to check wattage, think they are 18w. So now I guess I'll have to invest in the Turbo twist next time I need one, or when I can't get these bulbs. Right now I'm only using them in my large display tanks. Seems it's always some problem, huh?? ???
Thanks again Jim, Dottie ;D

Cosmo
08-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Korbi...

Just saw them at the Drs and came on to pass it along but you beat me to it.

Can't help myself... gotta say this... no offense, ok ... but.. "supposed to be easy"... HAHAHAHAHAHA. :thumbsdown:

Hopefully it's cause mine was burned out that I had to damned near destroy the housing to get at the bulb. Hopefully, yours will be easy (er).

good luck
Jim

DiscusBoy
08-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I have a double helix that went bad after few months. I sent it back to customsealife and they replaced it with a new one. The replacement has been working flawlessly and I have even changed the bulb once. It is sort of a pain to hook up, but know that I have it connected I would hate to have to change the connections to hook up a different uv light.

Does the turbo twist really use different bulbs? The both list the bulbs as being made by Phillips and they look the same in the pictures.

Cosmo
08-23-2004, 10:59 AM
I had fried my bulbs (an admitted act of stupidity on my part) and, melted the tubing so mine was a mess to take apart. I now have a 9watt 3X turbo twist and an 18watt 6X. Didn't do a direct comparison, but I'm thinking they're different.

The Dble Helix was a pain to hookup and hang. The Turbo Twists are a delight. You should have no problem changing over from one to the other.
Jim

Cosmo
08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Randal,

Thanks for the offer - greatly appreciated. Wont' be ready for a week or two though so I'll give you a call. Will need some other supplies as well so I'll coordinate a time with you to stop by.

Thanks,
Jim