PDA

View Full Version : Eye contact lense for my discus?

smsc
08-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

One of my discus (snow fire, about 4-inches) has the eyes problem. He keep missing the worm. Every time he try to catch a worm, his mouth is about 1/4 inch in front of the worm and after 4 to 5 time try he can get one. Is it normal? or do I need to do something to help him out?

Khai

oodi
08-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi Khai,

As long as he's eventually getting the worm, and plenty to eat, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've heard that some strains have poorer vision/aim than others... anyone else know any more about that?

Judi
:)

DarkDiscus
08-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I have a blue diamond who only hits what he aims at about 10% of the time. So he just has to try a lot more than the other fish...

;D

John

smsc
08-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Judi,

Thanks for your fast reply! I'm very appreciated. I just feel a little sorry for him but he is very healthy and grow very fast right now.

Khai

Rob Blanks
08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
I've seen Discus with the jagged noses at the LFS. I'm new at Discus, so I'm not sure exactly why this is something to steer clear of though. Does it indicate poor gentics? Will the trait pass to offspring?

oodi
08-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure what you mean by "jagged noses", but as far as the vision issue... IMO it's nothing to steer clear of, as long as the health of the fish isn't adversely affected.

Judi
:)

Carol_Roberts
08-18-2004, 04:35 PM
I believe it is genetic. Many times these discus fail to get enough to eat and become runted.

Condor
08-21-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't know if this would help, but you might experiment with brighter lighting. I have two light settings on my tank, and the discus seem to eat a little better when full lights are on. Don't know if this is vision related or not.

smsc
08-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the reply!
There is one thing that I just notice today. The fish that has eyes problem had hex before. Before the sickness, her eyes are ok. It's just happen after she recover. The reason that I mention about this because my other (Malboro Red) discus just get out of the hospital tank today (from hex treatment) has the same eyes problem that he didn't have it before.

Khai

kaceyo
08-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi Khai, I have a leopard that misses the food most of the time too. And, like Carol said, it's the smallest by far of the group, but seems healthy otherwise. Recently I tried droping small chunks of frozen food into the tank instead of thawing it and noticed that the little guy grabs it and holds on till he gets a good mouthful. I make a point to place them in front of him. I'm hopeing he'll start growing quicker and start to catch up, a little, with his tank mates. HTH Kaceyo