PDA

View Full Version : Grow Out Tks

aggie_67
08-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Just read on another forum about using 55 gal drums, split in half (lenght-wise) for grow out tanks. Seems like white drums would really look nice, curved bottom would really clean out well.

Sounds like such a simple solution, anyone have experience?

Moon
08-19-2004, 12:29 PM
How are you going to seal the open end of the drum? I use home made plywood vats. These are same as plywood tanks with no glass. Works for me.

henryD
08-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I have thought about using Rubbermaid tubs for grow out and such. The problem being not being able to see the fish. How will you know if they are eating or not? How about bloats or other problems? I think you would need at least a single window to be able to see what they are doing.

You can also pick up used tanks pretty cheaply. Put an ad in the local paper and you might be able to get some for free if someone just wants them out of their attic or basement.

Henry

lauris
08-19-2004, 03:02 PM
I am not so sure how practical this type of arrangement would be for discus given the need to keep the water quality high and to observe them. Given a lack of experience in this regard, I would defer to others, such as Henry's post above. That said, I have seen angels grown out in livestock watering tanks of a few hundred gallons. They are solid-sided and the angels grow like weeds and can actually be observed fairly well from above. Apples to oranges I know, but if you can accept a certain elevated level of fry losses, it would work to one degree or another. I toured a used barrel outlet the other day here in Minneapolis, and they had 350 gallon white plastic food grade containers for $30 apiece (yes, thirty). Even cut in half to fit through a doorway, they would hold a lot of little fishes.

aggie_67
08-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Moon,

There are two types of drums: open head and closed head. You would use the closed head, not the open head.

Retired from chemical business, free drums are easy to get

Lauren
08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I know quite afew people use drums & kiddie pools for cories & angelfish & others. It requires moving them to a clear tank to cull though and watch for anything going on.

Sean Buehrle
08-20-2004, 01:42 AM
i remember seeing bait fish in refridgerators, the older type with enamel inside, they just siliconed the seams.

i dont see any reason why a person couldnt cut and bend a piece of accrylic then silicone it in place inside of a 55 gal barrel for a peephole.

CARY_GLdiscus
08-20-2004, 02:32 AM
Well Henry,
For someone leaveing the hobby You sure make for some valid points ;)

samcatj
08-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Moon

How about posting some picutes of your plywood vats? They sound really interesting.

If you can't post any pictures maybe you can describe how your build them.

Thanks,

Samcatj

Moon
08-21-2004, 10:37 AM
I am not able to post pics. I built the vats same as building a plywood tank without the glass. Regular 20mm plywood joined with waterproof glue and ss screws, sealed with an Epoxy paint (5 coats) and the joints sealed with selicone.
I had some difficulty finding the two part Epoxy paint. A local paint store advised me to use bathtub sealant. It works. The vat sits on a 2x4 frame and Styrene base.