PDA

View Full Version : HEATER recommendation please!!!!

zzbruinzz
08-20-2004, 02:41 AM
Please help me choose a heater for a 135 gallon tank. Brand and wattage please. I'm really interested in either the Visi-therms or Rena-Cal basic. thanks.

jared
08-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Go for the visitherms.JMO As far as wattage, it depends on the number of degrees you need to increase the water by. What is the ambient temperature of the room the tank is in?
Jared

Darren
08-20-2004, 09:07 AM
I swiitched over to Visitherms about 1 1/2 years ago and they all work good and none have crapped out yet.

Darren

Barb Newell
08-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Visitherms seem reliable.

Barb

oodi
08-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Visi-therms here, too!

Judi
:)

henryD
08-20-2004, 10:14 AM
won brothers titanium...

Howie_W
08-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I agree with Henry...go with a titanium heater. I've owned just about every brand of heater known to man, woman, and fish.

I find I like the titanium one's the best...no glass to worry about cracking, and it's nice to have the temperature control on the outside of the tank.

Also...you should consider having a pair of heaters running at the same time...especiallly in a larger tank; this way your not requiring a single unit to do all the work, and you also have a back-up if one dies on you.

Howie

Cosmo
08-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Definately the controls on the outside of the tank, and, definately multiple heaters for a large tank. General rule of thumb is 3 to 5 watts per gallon, but, as pointed out above, evironment plays a part as well.

The Titaniums are great, except I've had pairs fall in love with them and spawn :o .. didn't work too well. The female particularly seemed transfixed by it. Mine were 500 watters so when they heated I got air bubbles which the fish mistook for eggs and tried to hatch them ???

Never had that problem with glass.

Personally, I've always preferred Ebo Jager but I've heard from several others that the new ones have problems. Haven't experienced any myself, but that's what I've heard.

In my 90 I'm thinking of hooking up 2 250 ebo's to an outside controller (it's in the basement where it's cool).

Also heard VisiTherms are good, but have never owned one.
Jim

zzbruinzz
08-20-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys!! as for the won brothers titanium heaters where would i get them?? i was thinking two 300 watt heaters?? my living room gets pretty cool at night...still trying to decide, but i might go w/ the visitherms since i'm going t order food from big als as well. i don't see won brothers on their site.

henryD
08-20-2004, 12:55 PM
you can get the heaters at jemhco.

www.jehmco.com

John is a very knowledable guy and can help you with whatever you need.

Henry

zzbruinzz
08-20-2004, 01:00 PM
thanks henry i'll check it out...

gillym
08-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi

I had an ebo jager 250 W for my 40G and wasnt happy with the temp fluctuations so I recently after much research bought a Won brothers Titanium Pro II. It was a little pricey but was very worth it. The temp stays rock solid at 86 F I'm really impressed with it!

Gilly

Cosmo
08-20-2004, 01:45 PM
I've also had problems with putting a Ebo 250 in a 40 gal, but never in a larger tank. Not sure why.

The outside controller I'm going to hook mine up to came from Jehmco. I have two of them and they keep the temp rock solid where you set it. Henry's right, John is very knowledgable - he's helped me with several projects and all have worked as advertised -

On my 180 I have the 2 titanium 500watts, which I had on the 90 also until I tore it down while building in the basement. Putting the two Ebo 250's onto the controller in the basement so should be no fluctuation at all since the ebo's thermostat won't be in command.

These controllers are pricey, but I think worth the cost - if you want a digital readout of temp thru the controller though, that costs another $50 or so.
Jim

zzbruinzz
08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
i wound up getting 2 visitherm 300watts instead. the titaniums were tempting but i was already ordering some tetra colorbits from big al's so i might was well. btw, 10.58oz can of colorbits for only $5.99 at bigalsonline! cheapest i've ever seen!

zzbruinzz
08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
i already had 2-150 watt ebos but i have to set them at 89-91 to keep the temp steady at 85 in a 60 gallon...my visitherm 150watt heats a 60 gallon by itself no problem =)...