PDA

View Full Version : size difference

Condor
08-21-2004, 11:23 AM
This ones been bugging me for a while.......
I have heard several theories on what causes the size differences in a group of young discus. I'm not sure which one is correct, so I am not going to pick any favorites. My question is this: I have five young discus (4 1/2 months) The largest two are aprox. 4 and 3 1/2 inches. The other three are between 1 1/2 and 2 inches. I have heard that a size difference is natural, but does this seem like a bit much? They all are eating very well, and I feed them as much as possible (3 to 6 times daily) Initially I tossed as much beefheart as I could in there to try and add some size, but finally I had to just let it go because it was out of my controll. Still bugs me though, and I wondered if anybody had any opinions. Thanks.

-Adrian

Carol_Roberts
08-21-2004, 12:03 PM
You have two very healthy, competitive discus and three less healthy, less competitive discus. If you were growing out 20 discus you would have seperated them by size a while back in the hopes some of the smaller group would catch up

Condor
08-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Thank you, Carol. Is there anything you would recomend that I do in this situation, or should I leave it? Would maybe a temporary divider help or is it too late to do anything about it? Thanks again for your help

Carol_Roberts
08-21-2004, 01:47 PM
I'd try a divider. Dave Clubine is experimenting with treating runts with a course of metro. IF you have a hospital tank you might try that too and see if it works for you.