PDA

View Full Version : Substrate or no substrate..need your opinions please

BKT
08-22-2004, 03:42 AM
I have a 55 gal with about 11 juveniles in it. I know it is easier with a bare bottom tank but it gets old looking at it.

How hard will it be to maintain good water parameters with a neutral substrate in the bottom and maybe some fake plants? I do a water 5 gal water change every other day and feed them about three times a day, just enough to keep them hungry.

How many discus junkies out there decorate there tanks? Can I have some pros and cons...and also give me your opinion on how hard it is for you to maintain the tank.

thanks to all
Brian

jared
08-22-2004, 04:13 AM
I would reccomend not using substrate. If you are set on doing so with juvies you can try glueing a thing layer of gravel to the bottom of the tank. This will give you some of the affect you are looking for without compromising the cleanliness of the tank. With or without substrate I would highly reccomend increasing your water change regiment though to at least 15 gallons per day or 25 every other day.JMO
Jared

GulfCoastDiscus
08-22-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi Brian,
IMO you'll have less problems growing juveniles in a barebottom tank. Another thing, changing 5 gallons every other day is not enough. That's less than 10% every 2 days. You could probably get away with it for awhile until you get problems. On Juvies I change minimum of 50% daily. I rinse the sponge and wipe sides and bottom every 2-3 days. I feed what they can eat within 15 minutes 4 to 6 times a day and siphon leftovers after.

Dan

Howie_W
08-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Brian,

There's no reason not to considering setting-up a planted tank, as they are quite enjoyable to maintain.

Before you take that step you should concentrate on growing out your juveniles. In a 55 gallon tank you need to be changing 50% of the water daily to help grow your fish properly...I would follow Dan's advice as he's right on the money!

While you are growing out your juveniles, you can start thinking about another tank. A 55 gallon is too small for 11 adult fish, so as they get bigger you'll need to move some.

If you search through the forum you'll find plenty of suggestions for setting-up a compromise for your next tank. This could include having potted plants in your tank, and also using driftwood with plants attached to it.

HTH

Howie

aggie_67
08-22-2004, 12:28 PM
"but it gets old looking at it"

I must be getting senile then, as I spend hours looking into my BB tank.

RyanH
08-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Hey Brian,

I agree with Howie. Grow 'em out BB. Learn how to take care of them. READ! READ! READ! Then start thinking about your dream tank. In addition to giving you time to learn, this will also allow you to really plan out the ultimate show tank!

hth!

Carol_Roberts
08-22-2004, 01:31 PM
I do not recommend glueing gravel to the inside of the tank. It is impossible to clean.

Sean Buehrle
08-22-2004, 02:10 PM
another option to get rid of the barebottom blues is to get some large plastic amazon sword plants and put them in a small pot, use a little gravel to secure them in the pot. it spices the tank up tremendously. the top of the line plants look nearly alive.

Robin764
08-22-2004, 02:31 PM
I initially set up my 90 gal with fleurite substrate....bought 8 plants...and they grew like mad. I also have a 120 barebottom for discus. Doing water changes on both tanks lead me to a big project 3 days ago. 90 gal is now a barebottom grow-out tank for baby albino bristlenose at the moment. (Till I get more discus:) I hated the filth I kept sucking up from the bottom, and never felt it was clean. It was beautiful tho:) I can say that this was my first tank for discus, and they did do ok in it, but seem to be doing so much better now:)
As my new hobby continues to grow, I realized wc's on multiple tanks are sooooo much nicer bb.

Robin

BKT
08-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Crud, Guess I'll start changing my w/c regiement. I appreciate all of the responses. I have a 55 gal drum I use for the water to age, this is big enough right, how do the rest of you have your set up. I hear a few people use straight tap water for their fish. I dont do this in order to keep them in their near natural enviroment of 6.0 ph.

If someone does keep them in the tap water can you tell me the pros and cons?

GulfCoastDiscus
08-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi BKT,
What are your tap water parameters? I keep all non-breeding discus in tap water. My tap has a ph of 8.0. You'll be fine as long you do your waterchanges. At least 50% daily. I keep all my discus with only sponge filters. I rinse them well at least once a week. If you can every 3 to 4 days is better.

Dan