PDA

View Full Version : Juvies or adults?

keenehan
08-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I have a 29 gallon tank that I'm cycling right now. I had planned on purchasing 4-6 juvies until I read about all the care they need. I could easily handle 50% WC once a week, but honestly could not do WC every other day or so.

My question - If I got 2 adults, would once a week WC be OK? I'm not really interested in breeding at this point, I just think they are the most beautiful freshwater fish I've ever seen. Also, would my tank be large enough for 2 adults?

Thanks to all!

:-\

Carol_Roberts
08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
29 gallons is fine for an adult pair. IF you just feed flakes you may be able to get by with twice a week water changes. Discus are healthiest with daily water changes.

Howie_W
08-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi Keenehan,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

A 29 gallon tank is one of the sizes typically used for a breeding pair, as it is big enough to accomodate the parents while they spawn, and not too big for the fry to get lost in.

Something to keep in mind...adults are large fish, and for the long haul a 29 gallon tank is limiting, with little room for them to swim around in. In addition, the smaller the tank, the more the water needs to be changed. Discus eat a lot, and dirty the tank in the process. Even in a larger tank, they still need regular water changes, and once a week is not enough.

Howie