PDA

View Full Version : eggs

obsessed
08-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi,

I have a new pair of beautiful turqs. However, when she is laying eggs on the PVC, she knocks most of the eggs off. Meanwhile, the male seems more intent on eating the falling eggs than spawning, but he eventually gets around to it.
If i got a cone, would the angle help prevent knocking the eggs off?
Paul

CARY_GLdiscus
08-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Paul,
How soft is your water?

obsessed
08-24-2004, 04:42 PM
120 micro siemens
pH has been 6.5 -- 7

Cosmo
08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
young pair?? first spawns??

obsessed
08-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I have had them 5 or 6 weeks I think.
i was told they were 12-18 months old. eyes are relatively small, dicsus are 5" or so (body) , ventral fins are really long tho. ???
the first time she spawned she laid well over a hundred eggs, maybe 200. They stuck.
she has now spawned 3 times total, (egg eaters, hope that is because they are young!)
The other pair i got (from a different heritage, and WOW almost 7 inches!) have spawned 2x, their eggs stick well.
once again this is on pvc pipe that I have used before.
I tried to enclose a pic but can't get it under 85kb. They are BEaUtiful!
thanks!
Paul

Dkarc@Aol.com
08-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Maybe there is a slime build up on the pvc that they aren't cleaning before spawning ??? Try wiping down the pipe before they spawn next and see what happens.

-Ryan

MrCBS
08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
To help the eggs stay in place. A breader I know suggested taking a piece of sand paper and roughing up the surface of the PVC. Be sure and clean the PVC after sanding. :D

obsessed
08-27-2004, 02:08 PM
ok, the pair whose eggs do stick, spawned last night.
i noticed some eggs floating down. but 150 or so stuck. I wasn't obsessive and didn't lurk this time to see how many did fall off. I take it cause there is a bunch on the pipe most stuck.

Could it be.......
that I change water right before they spawn??? and the slight pH/temp change and dechlor in the water do this????
I keep the water pretty clean, but when I think spawning is imminent, I do a change of say 30%.
the pH is usually around 7 and i dribble in 10gal of about pH 6.0, to get it down some.
wadda ya think???