PDA

View Full Version : What do i need to add to my RO water

wildy
08-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Ive set up my Ro and its producing water, and ive started using it, only small changes but i know i need to add stuff to it im ok for now as the tank water is full of stuff but i recon in a day or so im gonna need to add....

My TDS from tap is 240 what do i need the RO to be , im starting to think my tap wasnt as bad as i thought as ive got about 50 wrigglers now...

Cosmo
09-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Wildly,

Yep, doesn't sound like your tap water is very bad does it :)

What you add depends alot on how much RO will be mixed with tap water, and what parameters you want to ultimately end up with.

Generally, you'll want to add GH and KH as well as trace elements. The more tap you mix, the less of a concern this is.

I use straight RO out of my RO/DI and add Kent RO Right (GH), Kent PhStable (KH), and Kent Discus Essentials (trace elements). I end up with a very stable 135 ppm at 6.4ph.

But then, I don't have any wrigglers yet :( (Hopefully that will change when I get the pairs into individual breeding tanks soon).

Others on the forum use other things to remineralize their water instead of these commercial products. You should be able to find several threads detailing what these things are and what ratios they use.

Jim

Truelies
09-04-2004, 05:23 AM
Guys,

From where I can get the RO unit?

pls I need your help

discuscraze
09-04-2004, 07:54 AM
RandalB - look him up. He is your man!

GulfCoastDiscus
09-04-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't buy all those stuff to reconstitute my RO water. I just add tap water back into the RO water. Depending on what your tap water parameters is will determine how much tap to add back in. RO/tap mix are only given to breeding discus not to all.
Dan

wildy
09-05-2004, 01:57 PM
What ppm am i looking at best??

Scott T.
09-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi Cosmo,
I am new to this forum and also have just started a tank for Discus. First off let me tell you my name which is Scott. I noticed that you are using Kent products for your RO water. I am looking for something to put back into my water as it has a GH of 1.1 and a ph of 6.0 after RO. I am also going to have a planted tank so I am looking to inject Co2 as well. I need to raise my KH and was wondering how you like the Kent products and if your ph is stable. Does their product PH Stable have any Phosphates? You mentioned that you had no wrigglers yet and I was wondering if this was your first attempt at breeding or possibly a water chemistry problem or like you said just a matter of pairing off the parents into a separate tank. Any info you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.
:)
Thanks
Scott T.

wildy
09-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Ive use it for 2 weeks and im already gonna change to mix tap back in, i use bi carb as a KH buffer....

As for wrigglers, ive spawned them in a separate tank, the fry became free swimming but i didnt remove the parents and they have spawned again eating the fry...