PDA

View Full Version : Discus Pigeon

tib25
09-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I hava a pair of Pigeon which breed every week!Bu when the small ones start to swim they always get lost and die!I think they canīt see the parents...What can I do?I keep a light always on,turn of filter...!

Thanks
Nuno, Portugal

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-02-2004, 03:34 PM
I would lower the water level till it is just to the top of the parent's dorsal fins, or as low as you can go while still having the filter running. Also, reduce the amount of aeration in the tank as too much will distract the fry and go towards the moving bubbles. And have a bright light on one side of the tank while having the other half in darkness. These are only some solutions for getting fry to attatch.

-Ryan

AADiscus
09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
There is a thread on here somewhere about this. Anyway, this is the advise that was on there. (probably Carols :))

Drain the water down to just at the top fin of the parent(s). If using a sponge fiter take it out or cover it with a white panty hose. (I am currently out of pantyhose because hubby uses them for different things) :D If you take the filter out, put in an air stone. Put white paper or paper towels on all side of the tank (unless painted, then just the front). Turn all lights on so that the inside of the tank is bright.

We tried this and it works great!!!! The first time we did it I was worried about the parents not having a filter in there. We left the tank like that for 2 days. Little clean up and fresh water also dailey or twice a day (live food also). We would drain the water into a bucket so that if we got any of the babies we could put them back in.

Also one little problem we had was that the daddy did not like the babies eating on him at first. With the water drained down and these little fleas trying to eat on him. He was doing the moon walk on his nose, etc. lol He calmed down pretty soon and now he is the best dad we got for raising babies.