PDA

View Full Version : brine solution

gary1218
09-02-2004, 07:42 PM
What does it take to create a brine solution?

I was going to decap some brine shrimp eggs using the method posted on Simply and it says to store the eggs in a brine solution to hatch the eggs later. It says to make a brine solution you keep adding salt to water till it can no longer asorb all the salt. Any idea home much water to how much salt?

Thanks,
GARY

brewmaster15
09-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Gary,
Theres a scientific formula for determining how much salt to add to water to make it super saturated. Its in all the chemistry books that I no longer own :)

instead try this....One 5 gallon pail... fill halfway with rock salt ...aka water softner sodium chloride. fill 3/4 full water...That'll super saturate it. I keep a pail of this all the time and draw from it for brine shrimp hatches...I find its easier to take the salt water, and add fresh to in the hatchery..then take a specific gravity reading and get my water to 1.022-1.026 for the hatch.

hth,
al

gary1218
09-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks Al.

I started out with 1 qt of water in one of my 2 liter bottles for hatching the eggs. I put the air line in and started adding 1/4 cup of salt at a time. At 1 1/4 cup of salt I FINALLY got some salt the didn't dissolve :D

Now we'll see if it stores the decapped eggs well enough to hatch them at a later date.

GARY