PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Preferences

Cosmo
09-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Just my personal preferences developed over the last year since I bought my acrylic tanks and became unable to use power filters that hang on the back of the tank (used to use Emperor 400's with the glass tanks).

Only writing this cause when I bought my first Eheim I was warned that the Eheim Echo weren't a good choice cause they are prone to breaking. Took that advise and bought a classic 2217 cause the price was lower than the Eheim Pro series.

Since that time however, I've bought several additional classic series filters ( 2 more 2217's and a 2215), an Echo 2223, and a 2229 wet/dry cannister that is essentially a modified Pro cannister.

The person that advised me against the Echo was right. Mine worked great for awhile until one day the lever mechanism on the left side broke forcing me to use a screwdriver to pull the inner tab around while lowering the handle so I could take the top off. Several months later, the other side broke as well. Still using the filter, but, cleaning it is a far far cry from the ease of use the filter is designed to provide. Now have to pry off the lever on both sides and use a screwdriver to wedge the top off the bottom cannister. Amazingly, and I guess a tribute to Eheim, it still does work.... just a pain in the butt.

The 2229 wet/dry is awesome. It uses a third tube as a breathing tube and fills and empties the cannister alternately exposing the media a to air and water. Downside for Discus is that the output goes from very weak to very strong, advertised as creating a wave effect. I've somewhat negated this by drilling bigger holes in the spray bar so the pressure isn't as great. Downside for the aquarist are threefold

1) - you cannot connect the inlet line to a bulkhead drain, it has to be over the top with a syphon tube.
2) - three hoses have to be the same length or the system won't fill and empty since it works on a pressure actuated basis.
3) - The Pro series design mandates where the intake and outlet tubes are mounted on the filter and consequently therefore which way the filter has to be oriented to achieve the setup you want. This does make for a one snap disconnect of the hoses to the body for cleaning purposes however.

Having said all this though, I love the filter as it does a great job. Glad I bought it, just wish I could bulkhead it into the tank instead of over the top it.

My preference, the classic series, even though the clips can be a pain, fall off and get lost (petsolutions sells clips in their parts dept though). With the classic series you can mount the head, and therefore the outlet hose in five (I believe) orientations to the inlet hose so you have a far greater degree of flexibility in your setup. They pump the same volumes as the Pro series at a much lower cost.

Anyway, posting this just in case it helps anyone who may be thinking of buying an Eheim and might be curious of what some of the strengths or weaknesses of the various models might be.
hth
Jim

discuscraze
09-03-2004, 04:05 PM
I have had an 2213 for 4 months now. It is so quite I forget it is even there! I cleaned it once - it was a breeze. No priming or anything, just open the quick disconnect valve and off she went (shake out the air and it got quite!!!)

I just recommended it to a friend and then I see this post 8)

krandrus
09-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I have the 2215 and I like it. My one complaint is that the biological filtration may be there with the eheims, they are not great at the mechanical filtration. There is just not enough suction.

I am running the 2215 on a 77 gallon and the current is so low that my Blue Acaras are raising fry right underneath the inflow with no problems. The flow does get better after a massive cleaning of the tubes, but it only takes a couple of weeks to slow again. I would reccomend getting one eheim larger than eheim says you require.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to increase flow I would appreciate it.

Kevin

Cosmo
09-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Kevin,

Definately agree with you on getting a larger model than Eheim recommends, for the 77 gal the 2217 would be much better. Unfortunately, don't know of much to increase the flow except the obvious, shortest and straightest tubing possible, and keeping it clean. If you're using the regular subtrate that comes with it, you might try the substrate pro, but to be honest, I didn't notice much difference when I switched to that (as far as flow is concerned.

Jim

Fons_van_der_Hart
09-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Indeed is the Classic serie still one of the best series you can get.
But I've got to say that the Professional 2026 / 2028 is a very good alternative for the Classics.

Fons.

Cosmo
09-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Fons,

Agree the pro series are GREAT filters, and MUCH easier to clean with the baskets... just not as flexible in setting up in terms of hose layout.

JasonBR
09-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Yes, I have the professional 2026 model...The filter is pretty much bullet proof and VERY quiet, you can't hear it at all.

Jason

Fons_van_der_Hart
09-10-2004, 05:47 PM
I've got some prices of Eheim cannisters...

Can anyone of you tell my what you think about those prices..

Classic series
Eheim 2213 € 58,00
Eheim 2215 € 70,79
Eheim 2217 € 90,43
Eheim 2250 € 189,65
Eheim 2260 € 236,80

Ecco Series
Eheim 2232 € 61,80
Eheim 2234 € 72,00
Eheim 2236 € 93,02

Profesional Series
Eheim 2222 € 88,84
Eheim 2322 € 142,10
Eheim 2324 € 159,03
Eheim 2227 € 152,44
Eheim 2229 € 212,24
Eheim 2327 € 225,55
Eheim 2329 € 259,38

Profesional II Series
Eheim 2026 € 140,24
Eheim 2028 € 186,85
Eheim 2126 € 236,54
Eheim 2128 € 263,56

€ 1,00 = appr. $ 1,20...

Fons.

RAWesolowski
09-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Fons,

Prices are 10 to 15% higher than mail order in the US. See:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10946&Ne=40000&R=5169&N=20 04+22777+2146962590

Prices will be slightly higher in local stores.

I have the 2128 Thermofilter. It's too large for the 36 bow that it is on and that means its perfect. I use the strainer and sponge from a Penguin Powerhead as a pre-filter.

Cosmo
09-11-2004, 08:43 PM
RA,

A bit of an understatement on prices slightly higher in retail shops.. I've seen them double the online prices.

Bought my first 2217 at an LFS :P :'( >:(

Cosmo
09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
RA - agree with you on the sizing. I cut Eheims capacity rating in half, or in thirds, to figure the correct sizing. Ex - on my 90 I've got 1 2217 and 1 2215. On the 180, I've got 2 2217's and 1 2229 w/d.

Do recommend using the spraybars though. Eheim makes nice looking and easier to use smoked gray ones called installation kits.. the green would be ok if it didn't have EHEIM in big white block letters all over it lol

Jim

ed8t
10-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Jim,

Very nice summary on the filters...I'm looking into the Eheims for a future tank. 5 Eheims for 2 tanks - you must have stock in Eheim or at least they should use you as a regional rep :) Eheims are very expensive up here, buying online won't save us anything and U.S. Big Al's won't deliver to a non U.S. address.

Are you using your Eheims in planted tanks with CO2 injection? I'm curious whether your 2229 w/d would drive off too much or any CO2 since it's a closed container. Since you're very happy with your classic I'm re-thinking my pro II choice.

Funny they don't give you the nicer spraybars in the installation kit as stock equipment. Does the kit come with any other goodies?

FrankR
10-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Jim,

I think you and I might have been seperated at birth because we appear to do things the same way.

I would not part with either of my two Eheim filters a 2229 wet/dry and a 2026. both excelletnt filters and the bio size is massive.

lesley
10-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi guys,

I have the 2229 wet/dry. Does a great job of cleaning while it is working, BUT I am being driven mad by the constant need to clean the tubing. I spend my life wrestling with the tubing to pull it apart and clean or else the wet/dry function is not working properly. Do you guys have mechanical filtering on the intake... I know it says not to, but this week I decided it was the only way I might keep this running!

Thanks, Lesley

Cosmo
10-17-2004, 12:20 AM
wow :o not only soul mates.. but my long lost brother too :bounce2: :bounce: :funny:

Ed .. no, don't have planted tanks.. love the way they look but never took the plunge.. also, leave my lights off and use room lites most of the day so not sure they'd do too good anyway :( Consequently, don't know the answer on the CO2, and if I guessed... could be wrong and throw you off. Used to have a number for Eheim USA, if I can find it again, I'll post it :)

Before you drop your idea on the Pro units.. they are MUCH easier to clean ! Just that I prefer the ability to adjust the orientation of the hoses so I can configure the tank the way I want :) Really is a bummer they only give you the ugly green intake and spray bars though isn't it?? The installation kits w/ the smokey grey are soo much more attractive (and practical).

Surprised Big Al's wont ship to you though since they have a site specifically for Canadian customers ???

Frank.. bro.. where you been ? lol Funny cause I ended up with the Eheim's mostly by default... didn't want to spend the money to be honest.. but when I got my acrylic tank I couldn't use my old emporor and HOT... THANK GOD! The first One I actually paid LFS prices on.... OUCH!.. Then I discoverd Drs Foster/Smith.. Big Als, Pet Solutions, etc... they seemed almost cheap then ;D The bio size is awesome though isn't it?... never have a trace of ammonia or nitrites in the tank .. went to the substrate pro thinking I'd get better flow, but to be honest couldn't tell a difference.. don't know if it actually adds to the surface area or not since they don't really tell you in the literature ??? have a mix of the two in all the cans.

Leslie.. Have never had a problem like you describe ??? I do keep a prefilter on the intake despite the fact they tell you that it can come off after 8 weeks.. those littel suckers get expensive though so I recycle them.. Only time I've had a problem with the filter not breathing correctly was when the prefilter got too dirty ... once.. it was funny cause I was in bed and heard this wheezing sound.. finally tracked it down to the breather tube.. checked and the float wasn't moving, so I changed the sponge and everything was wonderful again :)

They do say these things are very finnicky (spelling) and if the hoses aren't exactly the same length, and are at all crimped the action won't work right... the only think I don't like about the filter actually... kinda restricts where you can place what..

To be honest... never cleaned the hoses since I started it up in March... getting ready for a tank overhaul though and will probably replace them... lazy or what ???

Are you using the intake and spraybar that came with it, or, the installation kit ones that you have to buy separate?? I use the installation kits which Eheim told me would work.. if you're using anything else maybe that's the problem..

OR... (this could be it!!) are you using the correct little du hinky (forget what they call it, but they give you an alternate one when you buy the filter) for the height of the tank vs the postion of the cannister?? If you're water level is too high from the base of the cannister and you don't change out the standard one with the alternate one that comes with it... the action won't work right! EVerything is dependant upon pressure... ??

Anyway.. great hearing from you all.. and if I can get that number for Eheim USA again, I'll post it for you..

Jim

Cosmo
10-17-2004, 12:25 AM
oops.. just noticed the number for eheim usa won't help Leslie lol

I'm guessing its' the ... flow restrictor.. that's it ( I think).. I had to swap out the installed one with the alternate unit .. you have to measure from the bottom of the cannister to the TOP of the tank water (the people I bought it from told me the bottom of the tank.. but that's wrong).. hopefully, if that's it.. changing it out will solve your problem..

best of luck

Jim

lesley
10-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Hello Jim,

thanks for the info, we didn't get any alternate "du hinky's"!. But I don't think it is the flow restrictor, cause once I clean the tubing off it goes for a few days and works like a charm, then starts to slow down again. I'll just have to see if the mechanical restrictor stops gunk going down. When I bought it I didn't realise that that part of the operation was based on syphon, I don't think that is such a good idea. Is the flow restrictor you talk about where the tube fits into the pump head? Cause that is really small and maybe if that was larger with a faster flow algae stuff wouldn't be able to gain a hold.

Lesley

ed8t
10-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Mornin' Jim,

The company in question is a Canadian company - they have retail stores up here that generally matches their online prices and pretty much have the Eheim market to themselves up North. So as a corporate policy, US online will not ship to Cdn addresses - we must order from Cdn online. It protects the pricing of their retail outlets.

So let's see, factoring current exchange, say a generous $1 US = $1.30 Cdn, a Pro II 2028 is $210 US or $273 Cdn if we were able to order through US online. Cdn online sells for $470. ??? Add in duty and all the other goodies and it still doesn't equate. Well maybe you would like a 2217? $120 US or $156 Cdn vs. $290 online up here.

I have buddies that works in Seattle that have offered to bring in whatever I want, but that's not the point. Great way of showing appreciation to your own citizens. :P

My LFS just started selling Eheim's, prices are much better not quite the same as US online but due to warranty issues I don't mind paying the extra costs.

Anyways enough of my ranting, the spraybar installation kit I can't seem to find it online. Do you have a product number? Thanks!

Cosmo
10-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Leslie,

Actually the alternate flow restrictor has a smaller hole than the one that comes installed... greater height creates greater pressure so the smaller hole evens things out.. it's located in the pump head just below the inlet tube ( inside of where the inside tube fits to the head).. kind of star shaped as I remember, and not easy to get out! I run real soft water and don't have an algea problem which may be part of it... still seems strange that you're having so much trouble.. have you tried writing Eheim tech support... I'm thinking you can do that via Eheim.com... good luck!

Ed.. jeeez, your local prices are worse than what I paid at the LFS.. the 2217 at the LFS was 249 USD (buy hey, they thru in two bags of ChemiPure.. lol).. as you probably know, online they run between 119 and 135 USD... one question though... who ever told you that government looks out for the their own citizens ?? LOL... you're right, makes no sense you gotta pay that kind of premium.. Don't have the part number off the top of my head, if I can dig up an old invoice I'll send it to you (they sell em on Drsfostersmith.com but that may not help :(

Jim

ed8t
10-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Jim,

I got the part numbers for the installation sets out of a catalog from my LFS. Thanks for the offer. I may consider a combination of a classic with the wet/dry set-up.