PDA

View Full Version : should i treat young for flukes

welshy
09-03-2004, 02:35 PM
hello good folk of the forum i have 2 pairs of breedin discus after a lot of probs they finally delivered both pairs finally got it right and each produced and fed about 150 fry each they looked after them well but when i took over im afraid i blew it i have just 3 left and 1 of them looks dodgy after reading a lot of posts on this forum i realise i have been doing lots of things wrong eg i rarely wiped the glass i was constantly trying chemicals to get my ph down now i realise its not important whats more important is to keep it stableish anyway i dont know what the young died i put it down to gill flukes but im not so sure now the symptoms werer apid breathing going dark swimming on surface swimming at wierd angles 1 fish was perfectly upside down and eating like it the 2 broods were in different tanks with one brood i tested the water and found the nitrite was borderline nitrates also ammonia was danger level i never tested ph but i am usuming it was wildly fluctuating because since they died i now test regular and have noticed it often goes down overnight from 6 5 to 5 5 i am trying to conquer this i no longer add chemicals and im getting there i would be grateful for any opinions on why they died as i now have another brood and am determined not to make so many mistakes and i would like some opinions on whether i should treat the young for flukes before they get them i did treat the other young with formaldyhyde although i very rarely see the adults scratching but i have treated them just in case

Carol_Roberts
09-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Sounds to me like high bioload. Youngsters may need two water changes per day and the sponge filters squeezed out everyday. High bioload will crash your pH in soft water.

welshy
09-04-2004, 10:28 AM
oh carol i am but a fool i bet youve heard that lots of times seriously thanks for that i will keep a close watch on it this time can you also tell me ive read somewhere that you are a gret believer in salt baths what are they good for and how much aquarium salt do you need per litre thanks

Carol_Roberts
09-04-2004, 12:37 PM
I've never done a salt bath - where you add them to a bucket of saltwater for a limited period of time to kill parasites. I've added a couple of tablespoons salt per 10 gallons of tank water - as a mild tonic.

I use formalin for external parasites.