PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy tank!

aquaria_rn
09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Hello, Yesterday I upgraded my 30Gallon to a 55gallon tank.
I saved 20% of the old water, cleaned my filters, rocks and substrate of algae before returning it to the new tank. I have 1 red,snakeskin and blood discus' Tank mates consist of 2 bulldog plaecos and 2 clown loaches.I have had them in what was a 30 gallon for about 8plus months. Everything looked fine yesterday and today too. After feeding frozen blood worms which I feed them regularly,same brand. I notice after lights out that the tank got cloudy. I'm hoping it's just and algae bloom. Because it's late and all parameters where normal before I did not redo them.
0= Amonia
0= Nitrates
0=nitrites
ph= 5.6
temp 86- 90
I quess my question is? Will my fish be okay???
Oh, I also have plants. mostly Amazon swords. since I put the tank up last night I'm thinking algae bloom. Does anyone think diffrently?
I will check parameters again tomorrow. I added Mardel A.C.T I also had addded fizz tabs for the plants this morning, everything else is as stated.
Thanks for any input.

krandrus
09-04-2004, 01:01 AM
I have had similar experiences when setting up new tanks. In my experience it has come from 3 sources,

1) New or transferred gravel - this will settle in 2-3 days.

2) Transferring filters - If you are using a cannister they can often blow out alot of garbage if you shut them down for any longer than it takes to clean them.

3) Algae bloom due to the stirred up substrate or unestablished biology.

If your fish don't mind I am sure it will settle.

I know there are water clarifying compounds out there, but I have never used them.

Good luck,

Kevin

Cosmo
09-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Would think Kevin's got it right. Other possible source of the cloudiness would be an ammonia buildup, so if you're reading zero, is probably benign and will settle in a day or two. Might want to keep testing to play safe though.
Jim