PDA

View Full Version : Some random questions...

jratuszn
09-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Hi guys,

I'm almost ready to go- my guinea pigs (some neons) have survived so far, so if all is good in another week, it's time for Discus!

First, I have a few questions about some ideas i've been tossing around:

1. Can Cories be kept in a bare-bottom tank? I'd still like to have some scavngers. I'm also thinking about Ottos, but I'm afraid they'd suck onto the sides of the discus. Does anybody out there keep these together? If not, what do you use to deal with algae?

2. I'm thinking about getting some swords to help with nitrates, and just leaving them to grow in pots. Does anybody else do this? I don't think i'd leave them in the tiny rockwool and plastic deals they usually come in, those would prolly stunt their growth. I'm also thinking about getting some wisteria, and just leaving it to float. How does this sound?

Thanks!

-J

brandy
09-06-2004, 02:29 AM
1. Corys do fine in a bare bottomed tank. I wouldn't add the otos though. If you want something to eat algae go with some ancistrus (bristlenose) plecos.

2. I have no idea ???

Condor
09-06-2004, 06:49 AM
2.Swords (Echinodorus) are good plants for discus, but do not take their nutrients from the water, they take them from the soil. You might try Java ferns which take their nutrients directly from the water collumn, and are very hardy. They do not need suplemental fertilzers and do not need much light. I have never tried wisteria. Plants do aid in the removal of nitrates, but do not remove the need for water changes (which is the best method for removing nitrates)

Wolf_Mek
09-06-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm also thinking about Ottos, but I'm afraid they'd suck onto the sides of the discus. Does anybody out there keep these together? If not, what do you use to deal with algae?

I keep them together and have never had problems, but, every-body's experience is different. You just have to make sure you suppliment them once the algae is gone or there isn't any. (zuccini/algae wafers). It's also hard to get good otos, as they starve, usually, in petshops and lose bacteria in their intestines (or stomach?) and are no longer able to process food as well... so in escense, they continue to starve until they eventually die even though they have food. The best way to avoid this is to 1.) get them when they first arrive at a pet shop (I did this and haven't lost 1 out of the 4) or 2.) to let them sit for a month at the pet shop, that way you get the strongest.

HTH

Howie_W
09-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi J,

It sounds like you're planning on growing out juveniles correct?

The best way to do this is with a bare bottom tank only, no plants, no tank mates.

You're going to be feeding a lot, changing the water daily, and keeping the tank clean...easiest way to do this is with a plain bare tank.

The only other fish I keep in a grow-out tank are ancistrus (bristlenose pleco). Otocinclus (oto cats) are great in planted tanks, but are not ideal for a Discus grow-out as they may be attracted to the Discus slime coat as a food source.

If you're looking for a plant source to absorb nitrates, many of us us the various common philodendron house plants; Take a plant clipping and dip the end into the top of your tank, and let the leaves hank on the outside of the tank.

HTH

Howie

jratuszn
09-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

What I've basically got is an 80% water/ 20% rockshelf paludarium. I made a background out of foam board and cement (don't worry, I've already cured it, and pH has settled around 7.5, which I am happy with). This lets me keep a bunch of terrestrial plants up top, including philos, pothos, and a bunch of random bromeliads and java moss that all pull their nutrients straight from the water column, which circulates through some waterfalls up top.

My biggest reason for wanting to put some swords in was to give the discus some cover. I'm in a studio apartment, so It'll be really difficult to not make alot of movement near the tank, as I only have the 1 room to work with :P Any other ideas on keeping my future babies from bouncing off the walls every time I get out of bed?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Condor
09-06-2004, 09:05 PM
This sounds very interesting. How do you make the waterfalls at the top? I don't suppose you have any pictures?

RyanH
09-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Once they get used to you they shouldn't be scared of you moving around your living space. You will actually find them up at the glass begging for food whenever they see you. Now, if you intend to throw huge parties and have dozens of people raising hell in the room you have your tank then you may have a problem but normal traffic does not bother Discus.

Here's three things that, in my experience, do tend to bother them:

1. If the tank is facing a window and the Discus only can see shadows. This scares the hell out of them. Don't have your tank facing a window.

2. Excessive floor vibrations. If your floor shakes and the aquarium moves everytime you move then you may have problems. Stay away from metal stands.

3. If your tank is really close to the ground. I think it's because we look huge when they are having to look up at us. I like to keep my fish as far off the ground as possible... especially breeders.

I've even heard of people who have Discus tanks set up in offices and such and they have no problems once the fish get used to it.

hth!

jratuszn
09-06-2004, 09:57 PM
This sounds very interesting. How do you make the waterfalls at the top? I don't suppose you have any pictures?

Sorry, I don't have a digicam. But It's pretty easy to do- The "rocks" only come off the back of the tank about 2" for most of the tank height, leaving plenty of open swimming room. The top part of the background comes out as a ~10" shelf, cut and contoured to look natural. I split the output from my canister filter into 2 lines, that I plumbed over the back of the tank with 3/4" pvc. Each dumps into a small pool, and then over a flat horizontal area of rock back into the tank. Positioning the outputs so it isn't loud and splashing is the real tricky part. ;)

This setup gives me tons of places to stick plants, but I had to DIY a custom light hood, with 120 watts worth of CF under a 4" strip at the very front ot the tank. this lets me leave the majority of the top open, so the plants can grow out and hang down the sides. I like the "jungle" look it gives my apartment.

If you have any more questions, drop me a PM anytime.

Oh- and thanks for the info RyanH, no worries- I live in a med school dorm, so it'll only be me and my gross anatomy books keeping the discus company.

-Jeff

RyanH
09-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Jeff,

I wouldn't go too crazy with rocks and plants just yet. Grow your fish out first and then set up your tank for show. Your Discus will tend to be healthier and grow better if the decorations are left out. It's really difficult to keep your tank clean enough when you have all of those nooks and crannies for grime to hide. You will save yourself alot of grief if you can be patient with that stuff.

-Ryan

JeffreyRichard
09-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi guys,

I'm almost ready to go- my guinea pigs (some neons) have survived so far, so if all is good in another week, it's time for Discus!

First, I have a few questions about some ideas i've been tossing around:

1. Can Cories be kept in a bare-bottom tank? I'd still like to have some scavngers. I'm also thinking about Ottos, but I'm afraid they'd suck onto the sides of the discus. Does anybody out there keep these together? If not, what do you use to deal with algae?

2. I'm thinking about getting some swords to help with nitrates, and just leaving them to grow in pots. Does anybody else do this? I don't think i'd leave them in the tiny rockwool and plastic deals they usually come in, those would prolly stunt their growth. I'm also thinking about getting some wisteria, and just leaving it to float. How does this sound?

Thanks!

-J

1) yes, corys do fine in bare-bottom tanks. I raise C. Sterbai with my discus ... they do well in the higher temperatures. And corys clean up the tank very nicely ... they thrive on the same foods discus do.

2) I have a 1/2 dozen potted (clay pots, 4 inch diameter) Amazon Swords in several discus tanks. You have to make sure you have enough light though (3-4 watts per gallon). They look great and add something to a tank.

Having potted plants doesn't affect the quality of water in my experience ... having a totally bare tank, while easier to maintain, is entirely overrated by many folks here.

Jeff