PDA

View Full Version : Improving shape

Wolf_Mek
09-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey all,

Don't ask me why, but my brother and I bought a really footballed juvenile discus from the LFS (along with a nice-looking PB). I guess we felt really bad for it... I know, the big pet shop no-no (:D), but other than the footballed, he was in good health (red eyes, thick forhead, no infections, active, responsive, etc). And I couldn't just leave him in this place because the owner thinks he knows how to keep discus but really knows jack. I regretted the purchase when we got home, but he is doing really well now, voracious appetite, etc and is cute in his own uglyness. We have them in a 40g q-tank, the temperature is about 86-88F (temp lowers @ night). He's about 2'', but I suspect he's about the same age as the PB(3'') as the eyes are about the same size... is this a correct or incorrect assumption?

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get his shape to improve. I know he'll never be round, probably never even close, but, because he's so young, I have hope he may improve. I have another young discus who seemed to have improved though I don't know if that is all in my head if you know what I mean :D.

Any, thanks all for the info.
Puma

Howie_W
09-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Obviously it's a guess trying to determine the age of the fish; based on your description he's stunted.

The best you can do for him is keep his appetite up with a constant higher temp, (88F), regular feedings, and large daily water changes.

Howie

Carol_Roberts
09-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Yep, lots of meaty food, bare bottom tanks, big daily water changes, clean tanks and filters . . . produce optimum growth in discus

Barb Newell
09-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I agree, lots of fresh water, spotless tank and good food!

Barb :)