PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most unexpected fish you seen in with discus..

tomatoman
09-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Just wondering. Im preparing my tank now and plan on geting some discus in about 4 months or so. Just wondering what i could keep in the tank for now till im ready for the discus. been reading a lot. I have heard tetras corys and teh sorta just wondering whats more of the exotic choices peopel have done..

paletka
09-07-2004, 10:18 AM
You planing to keep life plants? if yes you could start with bristle nose pleco's. You could keep them with discus with life plants.

chris

tomatoman
09-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah there wil be plants. I almost have no cjoice on that. My tank get to much sun light so no plants meens lots algea :(. But that why im waiting about 4-6 months to get discus make sure i can keep them alive :)

The Lenman
09-07-2004, 12:21 PM
how about sail fin sucker.... I think thats what they are called....very peaceful fish and I know buddy who had tank full of discus and high fins...got along great and pretty looking fish....most of what you read says they are cold water fish...but from what I hear they adapt to discus tank just fine....eat algae too! :)

I hope I got the name of them right ....I dont see many around though

Larry Grenier
09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Havn't do it myself but I've seen others; rams. Blue or gold. Pretty little guys.

Mart
09-07-2004, 01:19 PM
I use to have 2 Blue ram, 1 Blackghost, 1 large pleco and 1 clown loach.

I have no problem for the moment.

I've been told that my Blackghost COULD attack my discus. Opinion were 50/50 so I tested and it is fine.

If you take a look over the net, you will also see that people suggest Cardinal / Neon tetra fish with discus. These are good tankmate.

But make sure your discus are young and not at their adult size, else they might make a snack of your cardinal / neon. Younger they are put with these little guy, better they will consider them friends ::)

You can also try Rummy Nose. These are good water condition indicator hehe ;)

Have fun
~Mart~

Wolf_Mek
09-07-2004, 03:31 PM
that people suggest Cardinal / Neon tetra fish with discus

Cardinals seem to make excellent tanks mates with discus, they really compliment them. Neons, on the other hand, aren't good tank mates. They don't hold up to the temperatures, 80F and up and they start to wither away and you'll be constantly replacing neons(those $1.99 fish start to add up after a while). A better, more heat tolerant substitute to the neons (other than cardinals) are glowlights, and they are far more relaxed and peaceful than neons (neons fight amongst themselves non-stop, IME).

jratuszn
10-03-2004, 11:00 PM
If it's unusual you're looking for, I've seen some awesome setups with Discus and Motoro rays. Probably only a good idea in really big tanks with sand substrate.

-J

sill
10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi I have cardinal tetras in with mine and yes rummy nose are good too. I plan on getting some of those as well sometime. What I have seen with discus lately at a few pet shops is silver dollar fish in with them. They are similar shaped and I expect come from the amazon as well. Both discus and silver dollar have that pirahna look about them dont they? LOL I also saw on the weekend silver dollar fish that were as big as side plates as were the discus they were in with. I had no idea they got that large as well.Anyway those are my thoughts for now *S hope that helps,
sill :)