PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tank Question

hexed
09-07-2004, 05:15 PM
I have a tank question :o

I have a 50 gallon breeder tank (could be more gallons but not sure) It is 36 L x 18 1/2 H x 18W. I believe it to be a 50 gallon because PetsMart has the same tank but for reptiles instead of fish and it's labeled 50 gallon :D
My question is as follows:
If I were to divide this tank in half, which I can because my father works with glass, would it be big enough for 2 pairs? That would be 25 gallons each side. I don't want to put in a regular tank divider because if something happens (one gets sick) both pairs wiull suffer. I figure 1 sponge filter on each side and a heater should do the trick ;D
I currently have 4 pairs of convicts in it but need to make room for my marlboros because the males are fighting. I will put the convicts into a 20 gallon for now until I decide what to do with them.
All and any imput would be greatly appriciated 8)
Thanks,
Frank

Carol_Roberts
09-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Yes, it's about 50 gallons. You would make two cubes 18x18x18 - enough gallons each, but not much swimming room if discus are big.

hexed
09-07-2004, 05:26 PM
The reason why I was thinking about that is in my 55 gallon they all stay on the right side and hardly move around, just keep fighting with each other because the 3 females are ready to lay. I removed the breeding cone and they stopped laying. I don't think they realize that they can lay on the glass sides LOL. They are ready though, thier tubes are all out about 1/4 inch. Also is it ok to leave brine shrimps eggs out at room temp? I purchased them online because I had wigglers but do not know how they should be stored?