PDA

View Full Version : Save my Wild

Giniel
09-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi all,
This wild is about 6 inches and is in a BB 20 gallon tank now, was in a 75 gallon ,BB. Temp is 88 and ph 7 no amonia or nitrites etc. water change evry day to everyother day at 40% to 80% .
I went to work today and she was fine I came home after being gone for 6 hours and this pic is what she loos like. The picture suck , but posting them to show how large the cut is .
There are small bone protruding from the torn away skin.
I moved her to the 20 gallon BB hospital tank now and added salt at 1 tbsp to 10 gallon and added mela-fix per directions.She has been sick for a while and not eating well, that is why she was added back to the 75 gallon and she started eating very good and now this. Please someone help I really don't want to lose her .
Thanks in advacne.
Debbie

Giniel
09-07-2004, 05:23 PM
another pic:

Giniel
09-07-2004, 05:23 PM
another:

Giniel
09-07-2004, 05:24 PM
one more: and awaiting some help thank you all again for all the great help you give.
Debbie

Giniel
09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi again,
I just applied peroxide to the wound also thought i would add that. The discus in the 75 gallon tank I think might be starting to pair off and maybe she got in the way. Not really for sure what happened , but she looks bad today.
Thank You
Debbie

Carol_Roberts
09-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Furan II (double dose fisrt dose) and salt. Turn heat down to 84. No formalin based products.

Giniel
09-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Thank you Carol,
Should I leave the mela-fix in there with the furan II ? I will start to lower the temp. She will not eat when she is alone and I'm afraid of losing her because of it. I will go to the pet store now
Thank you
Debbie

Giniel
09-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I decided to save time I called the pet store and they don't carry it. He suggested "BINOX" it has sodium chloride,nitrofurazone, and nitromersol in it . Will this work as he said or should I try to go get the furan II?
Please advise as now I'm confused.
Debbie

Barb Newell
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi Debbie. I've never used Binox, but know someone who has. If you can find Furan2 quickly, I'd go with that, if not go with the Binox. Looks like she really smashed into something.
Poor fish, looks sore.

Firstly, you need to get the Melafix out of there. It doesn't mix well with other meds and the only way I've found to get it out is lots of water changes. She's in the 20 gal? I'd do several water changes throughout the evening and run carbon. When you're confident that the Melafis is out, add lots of salt, 1 tbsp/ 2 gallons and dose with the antibiotic .

Like Carol said, no formaldehyde.

Barb

Giniel
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi Barb,
The closest place to my home is 80 miles away that carries any thing better than binox. so I guess I'll have to do the binox . I will keep you all updated thanks Debbie

Discusgeo
09-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Binox™

A broad range product that clears severe fungus and bacteria-related problems, including cotton fungus, gray slime, scratching, open sores, bloody spots and streaks, fin/tail/mouth rot, swim bladder disease, dropsy and cloudy eyes. One teaspoon (5 ml) treats 25 gallons. Not FDA-approved.

Not sure if this stuff is going to work for that open wound. This is the first time I have heard of it also.

FURAZONE II would work in this case for the wound. Effective chemical blend of Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, and Methylene Blue for treatment and prevention of bacterial and fungal infections, body slime, eye cloud, and furunculosis. USE: Anti- microbial, anti- protozoan, anti-bacterial. Wide spectrum. Good for newly arrived fish in quarantine situations. Also good for healing wounds and ammonia burn. Also good for a shipping solution. DOSAGE: 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 50% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.

George

Barb Newell
09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks George.

Barb :)

Giniel
09-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi and Thank you Barb and George,

I don't have much hope of getting any of those meds. cause I live in a town that has back woods hicks for pet store owners. LOL . She is swimming around , a little off of kilter but I think I would be also if I had a wound that bad. I have put the Binox in and she seems to be fine. I will keep every one updated as I don't have too many meds in the house
Thank you again
Debbie

Giniel
09-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi,
I'm sorry to report that I lost her sometime through the night. The wound was really bad looking and I told my kids that she probably wouldn't make it as she ws still weak from the hex she had recovered from . She had just begun to eat after just picking at food for allmost a month. I have one child who cries everytime we lose a fish ,so it is always a tough time when some thing like this happens . I tell them it is life and has to happen . Thank you all again for trying to help me save her.
Debbie

Barb Newell
09-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear Debbie.

Barb