PDA

View Full Version : Water ok for Discus and maybe a little breeding ?

GIT
09-08-2004, 05:37 AM
water treatment for my area consists of Flocculation/Sedimentation, followed by Filtration and finally Chlorine is added for disinfection. Fluorine is also added for dental protection as we are required by the Department of Health to do so. Chloramines are not added to the water, however, when chlorine is added to water Chloramines are formed naturally by reaction with the water. (If this is the case then everyone who has chlorine has Chloramines?)
and its hardness varies from about 100 to 300 mg/l CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate), with an average value of about 200 mg/l CaCO3.
Is this ok or do I need to do some work other than the removal of the Chlorine ?

Nick.

RyanH
09-08-2004, 11:20 AM
I believe chloramine is a solution of chlorine and ammonia.

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-08-2004, 03:20 PM
yes, cholramine is the chemical binding of chlorine and ammonia. You can break this bond by sending it through several carbon blocks, but you would still be left with ammonia. You would have to add amquel or similar to get rid of the ammonia.

What is the general hardness (GH)?? If it is under 6 then it should be fine for breeding.

-Ryan

GIT
09-08-2004, 04:40 PM
ok my GH is 120ppm I did the math which if the conversion page is correct I divide this figure by 17.1 and arrive at 7 is this right ? and I know you said 6 was ok but is 7 ok ish ??

Carol_Roberts
09-08-2004, 07:10 PM
You should get a fairly decent hatch rate