PDA

View Full Version : The Chasing.

suppafreak
09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
This is totally unexpected. I have purchased a medium size discus (#1) about 6 months ago and have it swimming with some neon tetras and neon cardinals. About 2 weeks ago I have purchased a smaller size discuss (#2). The discus #1 was constantly chasing discus #2. I went back to the store told the story to the sales person and he suggested buying another one. So I did. I bought discus #3 which is slightly bigger than #1. So now #3 chases #1 and #2 and I also noticed that the upper and lower fin of the #2 starts to separate in several places. So my first question is how do I deal with problem? Is it a problem or will it stop by itself.

My second question is what else I can feed the discus? I notice that they only eat live worms. #1 will it frozen brine shrimp, but #2 and #3 will only it live worms. I have frozen beef heart, but not sure how to feed it. I let it thaw in the water and then chop it in small pieces. Put in water and it all goes strait to the bottom. The fish are not even noticing it. I have to take all out after about 5 min.

Thanks.

fish_maniac
09-13-2004, 12:20 AM
Hi, Welcome to the forum! For the first problem, it is best to keep around 6 discus to avoid the porblem of picking on each other. If the older fish is chasing the new one, you can try to take out the older one during water change. re-arrange the tank and put him back later. But if the new one is causing the problem, it will be harder to use the same method.
good luck!

Kam

suppafreak
09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
So what is the worst-case scenario? And what can anyone answer the feeding question?

Thanks.
???

Carol_Roberts
09-13-2004, 04:15 PM
I see mulitple problems.

With no Quarantine and introduction of only two discus into an established tank of one discus there are no easy colutions.

Standard discus behavior is to harass the newcomers until they starve to death and die. If you have 6 or 8 or more juveniles the agression is spread out and everyone gets a chance to eat.

You can try a divider. I think the little one is not going to fit in on either side, but you can try.

Watch closely, all your discus may get sick. The new ones could have brought a disease with them or with all the stress they could pick up something in the tank. Always quarantine new stock in a seperate tank with seperate hoses and equipment for 4 - 6 weeks. This allows the new guys to adjust to your conditions and start eating before dealing with the resident fish.

You can hold the beefheart under the surface of the water and it will disintergrate into the water. I would not feed beefheart right now. Just feed food they eat readily until they settle in.

Howie_W
09-13-2004, 08:09 PM
So what is the worst-case scenario? And what can anyone answer the feeding question?

Thanks.
???

If the fish are all eating live worms this is good...you can also try frozen bloodworms as they are often preferred.

As Carol mentioned, one of your main problems is stocking density. Discus, especially juveniles, do better overall in a larger group...this ties right back in to your feeding.

You don't mention what size tank you have, but you'll have best success growing out young Discus by themselves, and placing them into a community environment once they've had a chance to reach full size.

Howie

suppafreak
09-13-2004, 08:18 PM
I have a 50 gal tank. This is what I am going to do. I will take out the aggressive #3 out and place it in a bucket for about 1 hour. I the mean time I am going to re-arrange the surroundings in the aquarium and create some hiding places. After an hour I will place the aggressive in and see what happens. The other way I can do it is to take out all three discuses and place them in the different buckets. After I re-arrange the surroundings I will place them all at the same time. Which way is better?

fish_maniac
09-14-2004, 12:12 AM
I will take out the aggressive #3 out and place it in a bucket for about 1 hour. I the mean time I am going to re-arrange the surroundings in the aquarium and create some hiding places. After an hour I will place the aggressive in and see what happens. Which way is better?

hi,
I think this is the better way since it put less stress on #1 and #2.

Kam

suppafreak
09-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Well I did what I was descrbing in the posts above and don't think it worked. So I am going to wait till Saturday and see how things progress. If the problem still continue, then I am going to take the discuses back to the store ant exhange them for 5 or 6 small ones.

BGTW
09-16-2004, 03:29 AM
Why wait?
Bob

suppafreak
09-16-2004, 10:22 AM
The store is kind of far and I do not have time during the week.

09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Just be paitient, there is so much to learn about discus and how to best raise them. Good luck and ask lots of questions

suppafreak
09-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Another question. How fast does the discus grow? What contributing to the growth? I have an established tank. I will start changing about 15 gal of water one a week (50 gal tank). I also putt discus vitamins once a week. Anything else? My tank is not planted. It has some rock and wood. Should I place more wood. The PH is between 6.5 and 7.

fish_maniac
09-16-2004, 01:38 PM
A lot of feeding, mutilple times, 5 to 6 feeding daily and follow with a lot of water change daily will give you the fastest grow. 15/50 is about 30%. I change 20 % of water every time but I change the water daily(so far). I think you need to increase the number of water change as much as you can. What kind of filter and feeding program are you doing now?

Kam

suppafreak
09-16-2004, 01:47 PM
I have Ehaim II filter and currently I feed 2 times a day.